Chapter 12

A/N: WAHOO! I found the perfect actor to play Jake! He's in the side bar! Sexy, right? Also, I really liked this chapter, so please comment and vote on it!

"God damn, it's loud in here!" I shouted.

It was Friday night and Maya had picked me up from my aunt's place to take me to her house. I didn't know how I did it, but I somehow convinced Aunt Joliet to let me go to Jake's party. Peter was having a sleepover at a friend's house. I had dropped him off earlier. It amazed me how quickly he had made friends. I had always thought that Peter was a socially awkward kid, what with all the obnoxious questions he asked. But then again, I guess all seven year olds ask too many questions.

"Well, it's a party..." Maya pointed out. I rolled my eyes at her and smoothed the fabric of my shirt with my hands.

"That's a really cute top. Where'd you get it?" she asked. My eyes lit up.

"I made friends with the head-designer at Belleza. He's the sweetest guy ever. We just chat together about everything and he insists on giving me fashion advice. So I told him that I was going to go to a party tonight and he gave me this to wear!" I exclaimed.

"Free clothes?! No fair!" Maya cried. "Who's the designer?" she asked. I shrugged and she reached around me to look at the tag. "Ugh, there is no tag. Must be some really big designer," she muttered.

"Oh, then I better not get it dirty," I said.

"You have to give it back?" she asked.

"Umm...I'm not really sure," I replied.

I saw a couple of kids from our high school walking around.

"Uhh...what? I thought this was Jake's party?" I asked.

"Please, you know this town. People catch word that there's a party somewhere, and suddenly everyone that's allowed shows up," Maya replied.

"True that," I said, taking a sip of my drink. I was still on my first. I wasn't much of a drinker. I didn't really enjoy the sweet taste of the beer.

"Hey, where's Jake?" I asked.

"Probably grinding around with some whore," Maya replied, nodding her head to the beat of the song that was playing. The music was so loud, I couldn't even make out what song it was.

"You're such a jerk, Maya," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Well, I didn't invite you here to just stand around and talk. Let's dance!" she cried, setting her cup down. I set my drink down next to her's and knew that I wouldn't get it back.

Maya dragged me to where the "dance floor" was--which was really the family room with all the furniture cleared out to the backyard. There was a mass of dancing, sweaty bodies jumping and twirling around.

"Ummm...I'm claustrophobic," I shouted out Maya.

"No you're not! Have fun! Jump around! Woo!" she shouted. The alcohol clearly had gotten to her brain.

I decided to try an loosen up a bit. I had a really long first week of school and work. I tried to forget about the mountain-load of homework that was waiting for me to complete over the weekend. I tried to forget about all of the nasty rumors that were flying around about Lucas and me. I tried to forget about the assignments that Aunt Joliet kept piling on top of me.

I just wanted to let loose and dance. And so I did. Maya and I jumped around and danced together, making up our own crazy dance moves as well as doing other nerdy moves, too. After about an hour of this, I was exhausted.