Chapter 21

"Will you take this to the mail room downstairs?" Aunt Joliet asked me, tossing a manilla envelope onto my desk.

I glanced at her suspiciously. She winked at me and then retreated back into her office, the doors sliding shut behind her. I gazed curiously at the door and then let out a sigh, but stopped what I was working on previously.

My aunt's behavior had been odd lately. She would always send me to go do errands or take mail or packages down to the mailroom. Part of me wanted to believe that she was just torturing me by going all the way down to the lower level when I had tons of work to do. But the common sense in me insisted that she knew about Sean and I and was just trying to give us some time to spend with each other.

Whatever her motives, I needed a break anyway. Seeing Sean would be a refreshing pause in the day.

I walked into the elevator, jabbing my finger onto the basement level button. Once I was all the way down to the lowest level of Belleza, I made my way to the mail room. For once, the doors were already open. I saw Sean bustling around, arranging letters on his cart. He looked up when I walked in.

"Hi," I said, smiling at him.

"Hey," he replied, returning the smile and coming up to me. He placed his hands around my waist and pulled me closer to him. I smirked and stood on my tiptoes, meeting his lips with mine. He kissed me back, smiling into my lips. After a few moments, we pulled away.

"How's your day been?" he asked, reaching out and tucking my hair behind my ear. I shrugged.

"Boring. As usual," I replied.

"Same here," he answered. "But it's always nice to see you," he added. I chuckled and kissed his cheek.

"I needed a little excitement to brighten up my day," I said.

"How about a little more?" he suggested, cocking an eyebrow. He leaned down and kissed me full on the lips, pulling me close to his body. I reached around him, wrapping my arms around his neck and closing the remaining space between our bodies.

"All right, kids. Let's save that for the bedroom," we heard a voice say. Immediately, we sprang apart, both our cheeks on fire from embarrassment. Jaque stood at the entrance of the mail room, a smirk plastered across his face.

"Knock much?" Sean said.

"The door was open," he replied.

"Does the word privacy mean anything these days?" I asked.

"Not when you're standing in a glass room making out with your boyfriend," Jaque replied. I rolled my eyes, my cheeks still burning.

"What are you doing down here?" Sean asked.

"I needed to ask you something, but I see that you are otherwise preoccupied, so it can wait," Jaque said. He started to turn and walk away out of the room.

"Wait!" Sean called, going after him. I saw them move a slight distance away from where I was standing. They whispered to each other in hushed tones, gesturing with their hands. Jaque was clearly asking Sean to do something he didn't want to do, because Sean stood with his arms crossed across his chest, an annoyed and frustrated expression on his face.

"Why can't you go?" I heard Sean ask loudly. Jaque glanced at me, shooting Sean a warning look. Sean looked at me, as well, sending me a strained smile.

What were they talking about? They continued to whisper to each other before Sean seemed to agree to go wherever Jaque wanted him to go. The whole exchange was the strangest thing to me, but I didn't say anything. I wanted Sean to tell me what was going on himself.