Chapter 1: Genesis (Part I)

Genesis, Part I

♪Are we growing up? Or just going down? It's just a matter of time until we're all found out...♪

Cideion Amadeus Rodgers ("Cid", as he preferred to be called) grappled with his alarm clock as the lyrics to one of his favorite songs played at earsplitting volume (At least to him, that's what it sounded like). After managing to beat the clock into submission, which consisted of him yanking out the power cord, he groaned and rolled over in his bed. He stared out his window as sunshine poured into his room. Then, he groaned again and pulled the covers over his head.

He decided that it was probably better for him to go ahead and get out of bed, because he was going to miss the bus if he didn't hurry.

He then rolled over and stared at his clock.

Panic set off. The clock read 7:30am.

Alright. Somehow my alarm clock magically jumped forward thirty minutes! I'm going to be late for school! Again!

He tumbled out of his bed, sheets and all, and onto the floor, hitting his head on his nightstand. "Ow... owwowow..." he muttered in pain. He untangled himself from his sheets and pulled himself into a standing position. He hen picked up his sheets and threw them on his bed before dashing to his closet.

What to wear? What to wear? Cid asked himself before finally settling on a simple black tee and blue jeans. He shot a look back to his clock. It read 8:00am. Cid groaned. School starts in 20 minutes.

He ran to the mirror. The thing staring back made him grimace. His dark, somewhat curly, brown hair was in a matted frizz around his head. His dark brown eyes had bags the size of Texas, a side effect of falling asleep at 3:00 am last night. And there was a giant pimple on his forehead that was clearly distinguishable from the rest of his peach-colored skin.

He dashed into his bathroom and grabbed his brush. He managed to mold his almost-shoulder-length hair back into his traditional hairstyle, using his bangs to cover up that pimple that was so obvious only moments ago. He splashed water on his face and brushed his teeth to complete the procedure and then rushed back to his room.

He grabbed his backpack and slid down the stairs.

Gotta sneak past Mom. He knew that his mother was going to make him get some food for breakfast, meaning that he'd probably miss the bus. He did not want to "jog" to school again.

A sharp, distinctly feminine voice echoed down the hallway. The owner of the voice was the small brunette sitting at the kitchen table. Her hair was shoulder length, thought she currently wore it in a tight bun, and she sat with an air of sophistication about her. Arlena Rodgers, his mother...

"And just where do you think you are going, Cideion Amadeus Rodgers?" Mrs. Rodgers shouted over the steady click of the keys on her work laptop.

He had been caught. Sighing deeply, he made his way over to the refrigerator. "Does she always have to catch me?" He asked himself.

After staring into the refrigerator for five minutes and not finding anything even remotely edible, he made his way to the pantry, pulling out the only box of cereal, Fiber-Os.

Great, more Blandy-Woes. He told himself as he poured a bowl.

At that very moment, a man entered the room. He was very plain looking. His iron-gray hair was tied into a ponytail, and he wore a plain black business suit with a plain black tie. Quintin Rodgers, Cid's father, casually strolled over to where Mrs. Rodgers was sitting and gently kissed her on the cheek. He then turned his attention to his son.