Prologue

“Go ahead. It’s okay I can look after him for a while.” I say as I pat a cool damp cloth on Castiel’s forehead.

“You sure?” Sam asks while picking up his coat and pulling it on.

“Course I’m sure. He’s passed out drunk, not a raving alcoholic. I’ll be fine, just go get a beer.” He looks from Cas, lying passed out on my motel bed, to me, sitting in a chair beside him, worriedly. “Sammy quit worrying. I’ve been fine on my own before, and I’m not even on my own this time.”

I look at Cas then back at Sam, smiling. He laughs before picking up the motel keys and heading for the door. He pauses on the threshold, turning back to look at me, his brown hair blowing slightly in the wind.

“Yeah. You’re not on your own. You’ve got a comatose angel by your side.” We both laugh and Sam gives me a last ‘order’ before leaving. “You just need to salt the door once I’m gone. I’ve done the windows. And if anything happens-” I cut him off as I stand up and walk over to the doorway.

“Call you, I know. Last time I checked I was the big sister.” I smile as I go up on tiptoes to kiss his forehead. I press the handle of a blade into his hand as I push him out the door. “Don’t want to forget that.” He looks down at the blade in his hand; smooth wooden handle, serrated metal blade inscribed in words I never hope to understand. The demons blade.  He gives me a reassuring smile and is gone.

I close the door behind him, laying a line of salt down behind it before returning to Castiel’s bedside. I settle into the chair and lay another cold compress on his forehead as I push some of his hair out of the way so it doesn’t get soaked. My fingers slip through the soft black tangle, then past his temple to rest on his cheek. He moves slightly and I pull my hand away, standing up and walking over to the fridge. I pull out a beer and pop the lid off. I’ve downed half of it before I even close the door. I turn around in the middle of a swig to find myself face-to-face with an awake but still very drunk Castiel.  I almost spew my mouthful of beer, choking it down.

“Cas. You scared me. What are you doing on your feet?” I rest the bottle on the counter next to the fridge and turn back to face him. He sways lightly but stays on his feet.”Woah there. C’mon, let’s get you back to bed. “I say gripping his shoulders and ushering him across the room. About a foot from the bed he turns to face me and almost takes a nose dive. Before he hits the ground I slide my tiny frame under his arm, hoisting him to his feet with all the strength in my shoulders.

“I’m sorry I alarmed you.” He slurs.

“Cas, you’re drunk. It’s fine.” He stands up a little straighter and using the arm around my shoulder pulls me toward him. His lips meet mime roughly and for a second I’m too stunned to move. Then the taste of the alcohol hits me and I break off.  “You’re very drunk.” I smile nervously as I try to control my pounding heart.

He seems to have a moment of clarity because he lets go of me abruptly and steps away. “I apologise. I don’t know what I was thinking.” He says turning to face the door. “I should leave.”

“No Cas wait-” But with the sound of flapping wings, he’s gone.