The last days of Twisted Strings

Chapter 28: The last days of Twisted Strings

‘’It’ll be over soon, won’t it?’’ I lied on the cool, slightly wet grass in the garden at night, my eyes focused on the large – limitless – sky that was filled with little twinkling stars.

‘’If you’re talking about the latest season of Falling Skies-‘’ I cut Rhodes off in a snappy tone,

‘’I’m talking about the competition you idiot.’’ He chuckled beside me,

‘’Yeah, I’m not sure what would we do the rest of the summer…’’

I had been too caught up with everything happening around me that I didn’t think we would still have another month before our senior year. ‘’No matter what I do, I’m not working at dad’s shop.’’

‘’I was thinking about it…’’ I sat up on my elbows and gave him a surprised look,

‘’What? You want to work there? I thought you hated waiter jobs.’’

Rhodes gave me a slow grin and his eyes twinkled like they always did when he would think he had outsmarted me, ‘’Sometimes you ought to use this.’’ He said pointing a finger to his brain.

‘’Well, I can use mine, but I am not telepathic enough to tell what’s going on in yours.’’

‘’I have been thinking ever since you told me your father is opening a new branch. Obviously business won’t be great at start.’’

‘’Okay,’’ I said lamely, not sure where this was going.

‘’We have talent, and the shop would need advertising. So I think we can set up some live entertainment there.’’ I let out a small gasp on surprise that was a great idea. I was an idiot for not giving it a thought. I knew dad wouldn’t object, in fact he would be glad.

‘’That way we can spent August in Willow Hills and get some experience as well.. And I think your aunt would allow us to crash her place, I can even pay for that.’’ Rhodes explained his plans,

‘’It’s a great idea, I would talk to dad once we are done with finales.’’

‘’Of course if we do win, our time would be spent somewhere else.’’ He said with a wicked grin while my own faded, Rhodes sensing something spoke up,

‘’I have been thinking about a lot of things and I wonder how it would feel like if we loose…’’ I trailed off and tried to process it in better words, ‘’like this is all I’ve got, I’m not sure if that’s noble of me.’’

We laid in silence then, I wasn’t expecting an answer form Rhodes specially when my own thoughts were jumbled up and utterly twisted in their own way.

‘’Quinn, how did you felt like these past few days?’’ After things got right between us, none of us talked about what happened. We just went on with our practice, making it clear that we won’t let anyone come in between our hard work any more. Melissa and her plans could go to hell for all we care.

‘’It sucked, I felt like I was so alone. I thought you would never forgive me.’’ He chuckled,

‘’Don’t worry, I’m not leaving you anytime soon,’’ his words were reassuring, ‘’what I am trying to say is that we aren’t the only ones who play from our hearts. The world is filled with that sort of people; we are just like a grain of rice in a pantry of food. It’s not necessary if we win. Because I know all of us will continue on this path. We are musicians after all, how can we forget music.’’

‘’What does that have to do with winning or loosing?’’ I pressed,

‘’Everything, really. I’m not a philosopher but I have learned that if we lose, we’ll still have things we learned in these two months, the new friends we made, the times we spent in practices, how we fought on silly things-‘