Talking it out

8. Talking it out 

I was serving a Chai Latte to Martha Wester when the group arrived. Martha was a real estate agent who had been coming here for her caffeine dose, since like forever. Most of the time, she was busy on her cellphone, talking about important and sophisticated matters that made me realize how boring her job was.

The moment I placed the cup with Linda's bear latte art down, the bell chimed and Rhodes came in, and there were three more people following him. Lana came first, dressed in shorts and a black top, the same color that painted her lips. Behind her was Lars, who had his sunglasses on. I nearly coughed when I saw Stella Baker, in all her rich glory entering the café. Her blonde hair hung around her face like a curtain, they were straight and silky, the sort that they showed on shampoo commercials but you never believe they could be real.

Rhodes signaled me when he took a seat, and the rest followed suit. Linda gave me a quizzical look and I mouthed 'band' to her, before joining the them. I sat beside Lars and across from Stella, gauging her expression. She was blank as a slate, it was hard to know what she was thinking. Disgust by the café the size of her bedroom probably? Or annoyed at Mr. Flynn for putting us together? It was impossible to read her face.

There was silence for half a minute, with me staring Rhodes and Rhodes staring at Lana who was glaring at Stella. The situation was already a disaster. Rhodes mouthed me, 'You go' and I mouthed back, 'You go first!'.

''Um, would you guys like something to drink?'' I asked, summing up as much confidence as humanely possible for me. Stella glanced at me briefly and then at the counter behind, where Linda was busy humming along with the radio.

''Americano'' Her voice was smoother than her hair. Lars grinned at me,

''Strawberry Smoothie, you have those right?''

''You've been here before.'' Rhodes reminded him with a scowl and I ignored them,

''You?'' I asked Lana, who was still making up her mind,

''What's good here?'' For some reason her question infuriated me. I asked since we were going to have a meeting, but this was hardly a restaurant and we weren't here to dine. I sighed, keeping control over my temper,

''The Cinnimon Mocha,'' Rhodes told her, smiling a little too widely for my liking. She return his gesture and I wanted to kick both of them out. They could flirt elsewhere, we had important matters to discuss.

''You got that?'' I shouted over to Linda, who gave me a salute,

''Aye Captain!''

With our orders done, silence lapsed again and I leaned back on my seat. Stella was pointedly looking at her cellphone, scrolling up and down. Rhodes motioned me to speak again and I rolled my eyes.

''So, how do we do this?'' I asked, sounding unsure of myself.

It was Lars who answered first, ''The competition is near so we should select a song first.''

''And we are not singing a Taylor Swift song.'' Lana interjected before anyone else could speak.

''What's wrong with a Taylor Swift song?'' I shot back at her, my gaze heated.

''Can you ask your brother to turn it lower? Its hurting my ear.'' It was the longest sentence I had heard Stella Baker say and she was staring directly at me when she spoke. Gosh, why was she so intimidating? I sighed and turned to Elliot, who was standing by the counter and playing with the radio again.

''Hey! Turn it lower!'' He huffed in response and turned the volume down. A few seconds later he turned it up again but I prayed that Stella Baker wouldn't notice.