Rebekah & Bucky

Growing up, the Mikaelson children were Blanks (people who were born with no soulmark).

Finn, Elijah, Niklaus, Rebekah, Kol and Henrik had been outcasts of the clan they lived with since it was rare to be born without a soulmark- let alone all six siblings being Blank- but their parents were always there to defend them and assure them they weren't abnormal. (For Christ's sake, their mother dabbled in magic and the clan lived near a pack of werewolves, but yet being born without a soulmark was what was considered weird?)

And then the tragedy of Henrik's death at such a young age triggered fierce protectiveness in their mother and father, and both promised to make sure that the rest of their children would never harmed. Henrik's death ended up leading their mother to an Immortality spell which she then cast over her children and husband, thus creating the first Original Vampires.

As the siblings traveled without their mother and father because they could no longer be trusted, Finn was the first to gasp aloud one day when a soulmark burned itself right above his left knee. Sage had been a beautiful woman and Finn was immediately smitten, he then choosing to follow her instead of his brothers and sister.

Kol had been next to be blessed with a soulmark, he finding a wonderful girl by the name of Selene and followed her to the ends of the Earth.

Rebekah then spent years with Elijah and Niklaus, the three of them becoming angry and bitter around each other, and later envious of their two brothers who they knew were happy with their mates.

xXx

The trio of travelling siblings eventually find out that their father is on the hunt for them- their father having come to his senses about their existence being unnatural and wanting to cleanse the world of their presence. So like good brothers, Elijah and Niklaus do everything to protect their little sister and themselves, and flee in hopes of their father losing their trail.

In 1917, Rebekah finally gets her soulmark. She's ecstatic and giddy, and her brothers can't help but feel the same, but their excitement only lasts for a few weeks, and then Elijah and Niklaus are back at each other's throats while also throwing snide remarks in her direction.

Unbeknownst to any of his siblings, Niklaus had figured out a way to render their species immobile and daggers Elijah when he gets truly angered. Rebekah had been horrified, but Nik merely put Elijah's body into a spell-protected coffin and dragged their brother's body around on the remainder of their travels.

In 1920 and still having not come in contact with her soulmate, Rebekah tries to entertain a fling with Nik's friend in Chicago, but merely ends up angering her brother by doing so and earns herself a dagger to the chest. Rebekah, too, is laid to rest in a coffin for next ninety years.

xXx

Come 2010, Rebekah is freed and dragged through the drama that Nik and an undaggered Elijah put her through. She's angry and hurt, but also so very surprised to learn that her soulmark is still vibrant and not faded like it should be.

'Cause really, what are the chances that her soulmate has lived this long?

There are various trust issues between the siblings, but they manage to stick together while Nik tortures a bunch of teenagers in the town of Mystic Falls. And it's in Mystic Falls that Rebekah learns her brothers now have soulmarks of their own, but they pay her no mind when she tries to get them to talk about when they appeared. Then after Nik's done with whatever drama he's caused in Mystic Falls, the three siblings move their home to Louisiana where lo and behold, both Elijah and Nik meet their soulmates.