For A Price

Dawn brought a ghastly gray onto the world and it did not improve towards the northern trail. As Niarosa climbed the mountain path a mist had begun to swell in through the sparse pines and hang in the air. It was dull traveling weather, especially on foot. Niarosa wished she could haveSweet Vengeance with her, but a sorcerer's dark lair was no place for a horse of his breeding. She would return to him when she was wealthy and she would buy him a carrot garden for all the trouble her prized horse had gone through. For now, with not even a horse to keep her company, she wrapped her cloak about her tightly and bore in to the wet chill in a strong stride. After a solid mile she spotted two figures through the silver haze. As she got closer she recognized the shorter immediately. It was the ruddy boy from the night before. In the light of day Niarosa could see just how truly pathetic the runt was. Eyes wide and sunken in, skin pale and face pinched like he had just sucked on a lemon. The other figure belonged to a woman who appeared to be in a similar state of health. By the way the woman fussed at the boy's face with some spit and a tattered, gray apron hem Niarosa suspected she was the boy's mother.

"You came!" the woman said, with a sigh that sounded like relief when she spotted her. "I feared you might change your mind."

"Hardly ever," Niarosa informed her. She frowned as she caught the boy's wild rabbit stare. True to last night's form the child bolted from his mother's side and darted into the woods off the trail.

"I'm sorry about my son," the woman explained with a dismal shake of her head.

"Why is he afraid of me?" asked Niarosa.

"Ever since the birds began to come to Browen it seems like we can't trust anybody," the woman said. Her voice was weak and raspy. "My husband... was not afraid of them. He sent many letters to the knights of the king's realm and knights haven.. he wanted to get us help. For that the birds took him away."

Niarosa looked away as the woman gave a feeble cough into a ratty handkerchief. She was resigned to going to the lair and offering the stone, so she resented feeling bad for this woman. That stone was only sitting heavier and heavier in her cloak with every moment spent in such guilt ridding company.

"Some of the townsfolk turned on us," the woman continued in an apologetic tone. "I started sending the letters myself- but the people of Browen believe I was only making things worse... they ran me and my boy right out of town. That's when I began to look for the lair myself... but I've lost my nerve when I found it... my health isn't what it was.. my boy still needs me. So when I heard that there was a young woman asking about the lair around Browen..."

The woman took a worn leather pouch from her apron and gave it a shake. The sound of gold coins clinking was clearer than any bell.

"I waited weeks and then months for the knights to answer my letters. Not a one of them showed. It must be true. Even the men we trust to keep their courage can be swayed in fear.. It's not much but it's all I have," she stopped again and gave a warm, if tired smile, that creased the lines around her mouth. "Ah, but you're so lovely and young. I wonder if I can ask this of you. I haven't even asked what you seek with that lair."

"A friend of mine was taken by the birds as well," Niarosa responded. "And I might be young but I know what I'm doing."

With that the pale woman extended the pouch.

"Then take this... please, and my eternal gratitude. I've been with out him too long... if you're off to find your friend anyways.. please, will you find my husband as well?"

She had tears in her eyes. The kind that came from too much waiting and the holding of one sliver of hope.

"I will," Niarosa promised. She reached out for the sack of coins but a hand caught her wrist. She frowned and swerved around to see Sir Marcos, and at his heel that dreadful dog. He had come through the fog quieter than a tip toed mouse, even the woman who must have been facing him seemed surprised.