So It Begins

Audrin shook her hand with the ring on it curiously. It had been quiet for some time now.

"Are you still in there?" she asked.

"Yes." The ring was sullen. "Are you ready to go?"

"Yep!" She picked up the sword she had taken the night before and gave it a good hard whack into a tree. She stumbled out of the way as the tree came crashing down.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" asked the ring, in alarm.

"Practicing," she explained. "Its a very sharp sword."

"And you're a very stupid girl!" the ring scolded. "Are you trying to attract birds?"

"No. Why?" Audrin asked. She wasn't too fond of the ring's tone. "Afraid that some raven is going to come down and grab you? I can protect you from a bird, its really not a problem."

"I'm not talking about normal birds," the ring said. "Look, as you get further north you'll see what I mean... you'll see more than just the occasional inkling or magic ring, do you understand?"

Audrin lit up and dropped the sword to the ground as she lifted her ring finger to her face. "You mean fairies?" she asked. "And dragons? Oh please please PLEASE tell me I'll see dragons! I've always wanted to fight one, they're terrified of carrots!"

"No, they're not," the ring sounded oddly certain. "They're not afraid of anything, they're enormous, fire breathing reptiles with enormous, fire scorched teeth. They would char your carrots."

"Oh." Audrin was a little disappointed but she couldn't let this bring her down. "Well I still want to see one."

"Fine, good. I hope you see a dragon. Just make sure it's after you bring the ring to a knight. Now lets get going."

"Right! To Knight's Haven! Don't worry, ring! You're in good hands! I'm very courageous and ravens naturally fear me! I will get you to a knight safe and sound! " Audrin declared. She hefted her pack and whistled. "C'mon dumpling!"

The dog shoved past her and bounded into the woods. As she took the first few steps she heard a throat clear and looked down at the ring.

"What is it?" she asked.

"You've forgotten your sword and you're walking in the wrong direction," the ring replied.

"Oh," she laughed. "Sorry. I always get my Norths and my Souths mixed up."

"That was West," the ring informed her, impatiently.

Audrin scratched her head and looked around again.

"Really? I'm a natural West, I'm surprised I didn't recognize it."

"Hush!" the ring snapped suddenly. "Someone's coming. I have to hide the mirror, don't make any noise."

Audrin nodded and focused on not opening her mouth but as she stood there staring into the forest ahead she realized that this could be a problem.

--The Grave's Dungeon--

Fier tucked the mirror into the crack in the wall and hoped that the girl could keep her mouth shut. Perhaps people couldn't hear him through the ring on her side but over in the dungeon of gloom and doom her voice was loud and clear. The stomp of boots came closer and soon a troop of faceless birds arrived at the door to his dungeon cell. One was holding a set of keys in it's feathered fingers and unlocked the door. The birds came inside and Fier was grabbed by the arms. His head became very heavy all at once and his knees gave way.

"I'm never going to get used to this," he muttered, wearily.

Through the halls they went and all the while he was in a daze, the spinning staircase, halls and staircases and then-