BOOK 1, CH. 4: The Calling

Book 1: Earth
Chapter 4: the Calling

"Good morning, humble citizens of the village of Ookowaya, my name is Bulan and I am one of the leaders of the prestigious Dai Li." a stern man wearing a green robe that trailed to the floor, a large black and green hat and a traditional hairstyle paced up and down the village gathering place.

Many of the villagers cringed and hugged each other in fright. It was the following morning from Fung and Makei's meeting with the avatar, and as soon as dawn approached, the intimidating green trucks of the Dai Li had already patrolled the city, parked all over the streets.

The Dai Li agent continued; "As most of you should all know, the Dai Li are the humble cultural protectors of the Earth Kingdom. We are not here for our own purposes, but simply to serve the grand Earth Kingdom by preserving its splendid history.

A banana peel flied through the sky and landed on Bulan's head. He ickily cringed and picked up the slippery peel with two fingers and chucked it on the floor. Immediately, his assistants (or rather bodyguards) picked it up after him.

"Nonsense!" Someone called angrily. "Our village of Ookowaya belongs to both the earth kingdom AND the fire nation! This was declared by Avatar Aang long long ago!"

The village filled with a roar of cheer of agreement.

"Enough," Bulan raised his eyebrows.

He continued; "Over the times, cultures and traditions have changed. Nations have been differed, for the better. The Dai Li acknowledges this and understands the position of Ookawooya as a multicultral village. We are not here to cause any trouble, but is here to bring order and form into this village. Without a sufficient leader, no town, village or city can function to it's full. This village has no leader, not even a mayor. Now, please correct me if I am wrong."

The village went up in angry yells. More objects were thrown but the agents threw rocks at the objects with incredible aim.

"From this day onwards, the Dai Li will be declared as the leaders and the cultural protectors of this village," he summarised sharply.

"You can't just claim our village like that!" One shouted.
"Yeah! Who told you that you could?" Another spat.

A brave young lad, in his teens pushed his way to the front of the crowds.

"You bastards! Don't think we don't know what you did to Katanu Town! We are not idiots! We will fight for our rights! We won't give up our village just like this!" He yelled, bursting with anger. He bent a chain of rocks out of the ground, and with quick bursting strikes he aimed rocks towards the Dai Li.

Bulan stood there calmly as nothing would ever happen. Two agents behind him quickly pulled up a boulder of earth to protect their leader. Soon the wall went down. Bulan turned to the agents.

"Arrest him," he said just above a whisper so the villagers heard him. They all gasped. Then, the two agents each sent a flying glove made of rock, which binded the victim's hands together. The agents led him away.

No one dared to try save him. They could see the Dai Li were out of their reach.

"I will repeat again," Bulan started. "The Dai Li does not intend to harm anyone. We want to help, help shape this village into a true cultural treasure and unite it with the rest of the earth kingdom." He explained calmly with his hands held behind his back. If you do not interfere in our way our presence will benefit you. But if you won't" his face turned into an angry sneer, "you will be crushed just like your little friend over there," he sneered, crushing a rock as he said the word.