Chapter 12 "The Past and Present Events."

Very unedited!!!

                                                        Chapter 12

Ella came into Richard's backdoor and walked into the kitchen. Even though it was only ten am, the kitchen was already in full swing. There were at least a dozen servants rushing around like a little colony of ants, trying to get everything ready for the pack meeting later on this afternoon.

 When she started to move and ducked out of the way, so she wouldn't collide with anyone or thing of mostly food, she went in search of Jane.  

 As she spotted her in the dinning room, setting up the table with kitchen utensils, Ella could see that she was bickering with no other then Martha. Ella just rolled her eyes to this. She would think after all these years of pack meetings that they would come to a common ground and set up a system that pleased them both. Yet, that was not the case. Maybe it had to do with both being head servants and having that slightest sense of authority. Though, all she knew was that she had to steer clear of them during this day, which was usually hard to do. Yet, she really, really tried to do just that. 

 Once she walked into the room, she could tell that they were already equally frustrated, which Ella could tell by both irritated frowns as they glared at each other.    

 "The red ones would look the best with the beautiful roses." Jane infuriately stated as she pointed to the flowers on each end of the table.

 "Yet, the blue ones are the king's favorite color." Martha sneered back.

 Ella sighed. After all, they were arguing over something as little as napkins "Why don't you use both red and blue? You can put every other colored napkin by each seat."

 After she said this, both women turned to looked at her. Martha gave her a smile, while Jane gave her a motherly stern look.

"Hello, Ms. Farina, how are you today?" Martha asked, using the formal greeting that should be address higher up the ranking ladder. Yet, on how many times Ella have told her to call her by her first name, it seems Martha was determine to use formally costumes, even though Ella is not a higher ranking wolf any longer.

However, as she was about to tell Martha this once more, Jane spoke up before her. "Where were you? You should have been here ages ago!"

"I was helping Victoria, the midwife daughter. She was very ill, which is unfortunate for her because her mother is out of town and she had no one to take care of her." Ella said.

Jane just gave her a weird look and said. "Sense when do you socialize yourself with that girl?"

Ella didn't know what to say, so she just shrugged her shoulders.

After looking at her for a couple seconds Jane just stated, " Fine, help Martha set up the table, I will see how the cooking is coming along."

As Jane walked off, Ella glanced at Martha to see her glaring at Jane's retrieving back. Martha obviously didn't like Jane being in charge of the food, but she knew that she had no choice, Jane had a craft for cooking.  

Once Ella got to work at placing the napkins around each other seat, Martha simply said. "Jane really does care about you, doesn't she."

Ella knew it wasn't a question, but a harmless observation. Yet, Martha was right. After all, Jane had watched Ella grow up into a woman she is now. Yet, Ella has always wonder what did would have been like for Jane if she wasn't stuck as a servant. Would she have had a family, someone to love her and maybe a daughter of her own?  Ella knew that Jane only puts up with her stepmother for this long because of her and for that she has always felt guilty.