4. Independence Day

Chapter FourIndependence Day

Chapter Four
Independence Day

✰✰✰✰

GOTHAM CITY
JULY 4, 12:00 EDT

The frightful cries and screams of Gotham City citizens filled the park in the middle of the city. Dozens ran in fear when the appearance of Mr. Freeze was known.

"Enjoying family time?" Mr. Freeze said in his usual deep and raspy voice, before he used his ice ray to blast more ice around the park and freeze civilians. "My family has other plans."

Mr. Freeze readied himself to ice more civilians when a bird-a-rang and a throwing knife forcibly hit his ice ray. "Batman. I was wondering when—"

"Ha ha ha!" echoed a voice in the distance. Mr. Freeze looked around and waited for someone to show. A figure appeared above him, hitting his clear glass helmet and breaking it with their weight, before more bird-a-rangs were thrown at him.

The figure that had hit him from above had been a teen superhero, Avatar. Avatar was the protégée of the original seven Justice Leaguers; they had all taught and mentored her one way or another.

The second figure, who had hit him with bird-a-rang, was Batman's other protégé, Robin.

"Oh. Boy and Girl Wonder. The Bat sent you to drag me off to prison? Frankly, I'm underwhelmed," Mr. Freeze said sinisterly before he stood up from where he had fallen. Avatar rolled her eyes at his comment and spared a glance at Robin who stood beside her.

"Great, but we're kind of in a hurry here," Robin informed him and glanced at his brunette best friend, who gave him a knowing look. Unlike Robin, Avatar didn't wear a mask. She did, however, wear a thin combat helmet guard around her face. Yet, both were under strict orders by their mentor to not let anyone know of their secret identities. Of course, that was everyone but their most trusted friends, Kid Flash and Speedy.

"Kids. Always in such a rush," Mr. Freeze said wryly and reloaded his ice ray once more to hit the two heroes.

"Not talking to you," sang Avatar, as the Dark Knight appeared behind Mr. Freeze. With a single move, he was knocked out. Batman stood beside Mr. Freeze's unconscious body, while Avatar and Robin stared at him impatiently.

"What?" smirked Batman, already knowing what they were about to say. Robin sighed impatiently, "Can we go now?"

"Today's the day!" Avatar grinned, which caused Robin to do the same. Batman motioned his head for the two to follow him back to the bat-mobile.

Today is the day.

✰✰✰✰

WASHINGTON, D.C.
JULY 4, 14:00 EDT