3. Meetings

Chapter Three Meetings

Chapter Three
Meetings

✰✰✰✰

A year had passed since the extinction of Avatar Island. A few months after Katara's recovery, she and Arthur visited Avatar Island to find it in ruins. Katara's people had destroyed themselves in a Civil War over their beliefs. One side fought for Katara's protection, while the other fought for her extinction. Although, Katara was heartbroken over the loss, she eventually became accustomed to her new life. Arthur had also said that the Red Lotus has gotten their hands on mysterious alien technology, which they used to overpower the islanders' army. Bruce had informed Katara that he would make the Red Lotus' case one of his top priorities so he could find out who supplied them with such technology.

The Justice League had made it their responsibility to exploit Katara's abilities and finish her training, after Katara explained her sole desire to help keep the world safe. The original seven leaguers, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter and Red Tornado, had become her teachers and had began to take her along with them on small missions to develop her field skills. Much like the leaguers, who all had secret identities, Bruce urged Katara to have one as well to protect her personal life and alternate life from each other. That said, Katara decided to name herself for what she already was: the Avatar.

Katara became the second known protégée under the Justice League. The first was Robin, who Katara later found out was Dick. Much like how Dick said, he and Katara became great friends and partners and could read the other's movements like the back of their hand (which amazed Bruce seeing as the two hadn't known each other for very long). The third protégé was Green Arrow's, who was named Speedy. Eventually even Arthur, Aquaman, had become inspired and sought to have his own protégé, Aqualad. Finally, Flash gained his own protégé, Kid Flash. It wasn't long before Katara knew almost every secret there was to know about the Justice League: secret identities, places of residence, etc.

In due time, Batman thought it best to have the protégés meet one another.

The day had been warm and sunny, considering it was a spring day in June. Robin was ecstatic over meeting the other heroes, while Avatar merely laughed at his joy.

  "C'mon, Katara! You're not the littlest bit excited to meet the others?" Dick asked with a wide smile. Katara followed after Bruce as they approached the zeta-beam teleporter in a Gotham City alley. Katara shrugged and said, "I mean I suppose. And we aren't meeting all of them. Aquaman and Aqualad aren't going to be able to make it, they have an affair in Atlantis that they need to have settled."

"But we still get to meet Flash and Green Arrow's partners!"

"I suppose you're right," Katara smiled at him. Bruce shot the two a small glare before activating the zeta-beam teleporter for the two.