Part 5

6 months later

In yet another shroud of secrecy, Yukari found herself a rare opportunity where she could escape the confinements of the Uchiha compound, that is, without the company of Madara or a bodyguard. He apparently figured that she was too heavily pregnant to want to go anywhere, but he was oh so wrong. This was possibly her last chance to get out and be on her own. In a few more weeks, her fate and the fate of her child would be decided.

Early that day, after Madara had left with other Uchiha and members of other clans to deal with a problem outside the village, Yukari had been sure to send a falcon to the Hokage's quarters. She rarely had time to speak to Hashirama honestly and alone. Someone was always breathing down her neck and kept her in a constant state of fear for her unborn child. But now, at least for the day, she could speak freely with Hashirama, and maybe even see Tobirama, who had been the least common person she had seen, and with a good reason.

Her breath became visible in the cold winter air, with snowflakes falling as she trekked through the snow to her meeting place with Hashirama. As she arrived to the bench they would usually meet at when she had a chance, she found it empty. Hashirama was always here before her, not the other way around. She anxiously awaited his arrival, and tried to keep her mind busy by rubbing her stomach and watched the sky as snowflakes fell.

"I'm sorry to be late, Yukari. The duties of Hokage sure are a handful." A smiling Hashirama soon came into her version, cloaked in a dark brown cloak to keep the cold out. She returned his smile and moved to hug him, though it turned into a strange side hug due to her swollen belly. He chuckled and placed a hand on her stomach, to which he felt the baby kick. He beamed and placed the other hand there, all the while Yukari giggled. "You really do have a baby in there, Yukari!"

She laughed and placed a hand at the top of her stomach, amused with his response. "Well I'd hope so, or else I'd be quite concerned." It was his turn to laugh, and his positive attitude began to warm her cold being. She was not exposed to this kind of warmth back with Madara and it was a nice change of pace.

Hashirama stood and looked her over with a smile on his face. "Your child is strong – I can feel it. He or she is healthy too," he moved and held his arm out to her, which she took, "but what about you, Yukari? How is Madara treating you?"

She let out another breath to be seen in the cold air. "Not terribly, but this is Madara. I think he would treat me better if this was his own child, but this is the child of the man that murdered his brother. I could be in worse condition."

Her Hokage's eyes trailed down her, and took notice of the apparent limp in her step, and it wasn't due to any pregnancy. "I wish there was something I could do. He's taking advantage of you, Yukari. You are my brothers love and carrying my niece or nephew. Standing here doing nothing..."

She placed a hand on his cheek and they stopped walking. "I can handle Madara and his ways and needs, Hashirama. If I were to fight it, it would mean harm to my baby. I can't have that. This is a joining of Senju and Uchiha blood – a gift, a miracle."

Still, Hashirama shook his head, but he continued walking. "If Tobirama knew, Yukari-"

"Please," her chest began to tighten at his name and the thought of what could be or could've been, "please don't, Hashirama."

In a change of conversation, Hashirama smiled. "He still lights up when he talks about you, and defends you as well. Even after these past months, he still loves you. He always will love you, Yukari, and he will understand. He would understand now if you told him."

As tempting as it was, Yukari knew it to be too risky. If she told Tobirama, she knew how he would react and there would be no stopping it. The peace they had worked so hard to maintain would be in vain. He would go after the Uchiha, and the Uchiha after Senju, and yet another warring period would ensue. And it wasn't just that at stake, but the life of her child. These were things she just could not risk. "There's too much danger, Hashirama. I want to, but I can't."