Part 23

Chapter 23

He could feel her grip on him loosen, her body begin to slide from the horse, and he knew she was falling asleep.  Looking ahead of them, he saw Emily chatting happily to Ramsey, who sat there with a blank expression on his face.  The sun in the sky was slowly dropping, making it harder to see what the two of them were doing, but Peirce knew that he had no reason to worry.  Even though Ramsey scared him at times, the man would not do anything that would require him to be stuck with Emily.  As much as the woman had claimed to be in love with Ramsey, it was obvious that Ramsey did not feel the same. 

His heart went out to the woman.  He knew what it felt like to be in love with someone and not have that love returned.  It had been what his first marriage was, a one-sided love affair.  Letting out a sigh, he slowed Dread to a walk.  With Rose falling asleep behind him, and his eyes dropping, he had no choice but to take a rest.

“Ramsey!” he called out, feeling Rose jerk awake behind him.

The man looked back at him, not saying a word, but a clear question on his face.

“Are you ready to retire for the night?”

Ramsey glanced around the road.  Nothing but trees lined each side, effectively stopping them from seeing what was ahead on their path.  “Do you think it is wise?”

Peirce shrugged.  “I do not know how much longer Emily’s home is from where we are, and we packed enough supplies to stop for a rest.”

“If you insist,” Ramsey said, jumping from Fury before the horse even had time to stop.  To Peirce’s surprise, Fury stopped as soon as she realized her rider was no longer on her back.  The horse turned towards Ramsey, following the lad as he stepped into the woods.

Rose’s grip tightened on him.  “I worry.”

“Nothing to worry upon,” Peirce mumbled, “the lad has a clear mind.  He knows what to do.”

Leaning forward, he slipped off Dread, being sure not to hit Rose in the process.  As he eased to the ground, he held his hand out for her to take.  Her leg swung over the saddle, and she hopped off Dread with ease.  As her feet touched the ground, though, she wobbled slightly.  Steadying her, Peirce smiled.  “How long has it been since you’ve rode?”

“Quite some time,” she admitted with a sheepish smile. 

Opening his mouth, he started to jest with her when Emily’s question stopped him.  “Why are we stopping?”

Peirce looked up at her.  A few feet in front of them, she sat on top Rose’s mare with dignity fit for a queen.  Had she always been this way, and he looked past it because she was family?  He hadn’t a clue.  “I thought it would be wise to rest for a moment before continuing on our journey.”

A frown marred her usually lovely face as she shifted uneasily on the horse.  “We mustn’t stop,” she insisted, the smile on her face a little too strained.  “My home is only hours away; it is not a long ride at all.”

Unease settled in the pit of Peirce’s stomach.  Why did the woman want him to keep moving so badly?  He could tell by the tightness of her smile, by the strain around her eyes that something was wrong.  “Emily-”

“There is a stream just past the tree lines.  Fury is getting her fill, I suggest you do the same for your horses,” Ramsey said, emerging from the trees.  He glanced around, studying all their faces before settling on Peirce.  “Do you still find it wise to rest?”

Peirce hesitated.  Did the man know more than Pierce?  Did he realize something that none of them knew?  Shaking his head, Peirce pushed the thoughts from his mind.  “We will let the horses rest for the time being.  Once they are rested, we shall continue on our journey.” 

Looking up at the dark sky, he hesitated.  Would the moonlight be enough to light their way, or should he take back his statement and do as he originally thought, make a fire and rest until morning.

“It is the utmost improper thing to do,” Emily stated, “have two chaperoned women alone with two eligible men.”

Ramsey turned blank eyes towards Emily.  “If it were your reputation that you worried over, we would not be in this predicament to begin with.  If you were worried for your reputation, you would have stayed at your manor.”

Emily had the grace to flush under the younger man’s scrutiny, but when she turned towards Peirce, her chin tilted up in a stubborn manner he recognized from his past.  “I think we should continue as soon as the horses are rested,” she said, a slight smug expression on her face, “just as Peirce stated.”

Ramsey sauntered towards her, the red in Emily’s cheeks becoming brighter by the second.  “Here, let me help you from your horse, Miss.”

“That will not be necessary.”

“I insist,” Ramsey said, holding a hand up for her to take.  As she slid to the ground, Ramsey jerked her forward.  Emily stumbled falling into the Ramsey.  Peirce stood there, unsure of what Ramsey would do, but when he attempted to take a step in their direction, Rose held him back.

“Let him be,” she mumbled, “as you said, my brother has a clear mind.”

He still kept his eyes on the pair as Ramsey whispered something into Emily’s ear.  The woman turned a deathly shade of white as she turned frightened eyes on Peirce.  Shaking her head, she jerked back from Ramsey.  “He does not know!”

Beside him, Rose jerked in surprise, while Peirce stood there feeling nothing but confusion.  Ramsey shrugged at the woman.  “Be that as it may, how long do you believe it will take the man to find out all your family’s dark secrets?  He makes a living finding people, Miss Emily.  Do not mistake his abilities.”

Ramsey turned his back on Emily and began walking towards the woods.  Pausing at the edge, he turned towards Rose and Peirce.  “Bring your horses to the stream, unless you want the men who have been following us to catch up.  It seems that Miss Emily is not the only one with ill intent on their minds.”

Rose’s brother disappeared into the bush, leaving everyone staring after him.  Peirce’s eyes cut towards Rose who stood there staring after her brother.  Looking towards Emily, he noticed that the woman’s color had begun returning to her cheeks. 

“Emily,” he called out, making her turn towards him, “what did Ramsey say?”  She shook her head, and Peirce’s frustration overcame him.  “Emily,” he snapped, “tell me.”

She turned her back on him, while reaching for the horse’s reins.  “When we reach my home, everything will become clear.  Until then, Peirce, do not ask anything of me.”

Her body disappeared into the woods, leaving Peirce and Rose alone.  He felt her arm wrap around his waist in comfort.  “Everything is beginning to settle into place,” she mumbled. 

“It is,” he said with a nod.  “Is it weak of me to admit that I am afraid?”

Stepping in front of him, her hand reached out to grab his face.  He let her turn his head down towards her.  “No,” she said with such fierceness that he could not hold back the smile that spread across his face.  “You are only a man,” she said with a small smile of her own, “not a single person expects you to be more than that.”

“Thank you,” he mumbled, bending down to place a soft kiss to her mouth.  “Thank you.”

“My pleasure,” she mumbled while pulling back.  Reaching for Dread, she winked his way.  “Now, let us find Ramsey and this stream.  You have unfinished business to end.”

Following her, he nodded.  She was right, he had unfinished business and by tomorrow, it would all be complete.

***Thanks to Platypus1987 for the amazing banner on the side!***