Part 5

Chapter 5

Rose stepped out of the stables with a smile on her face. If the man thought that she would allow them to be friends, he was mistaken. She also wanted his friendship, but she was past her prime age. It was too late to show herself to the men of London. They would want a young woman, someone who they knew were pure, not a spinster. She darted towards the manor while ignoring the slight chill in the air. She needed to ready herself. Thinking back to their meeting in the stable, she could feel red cover her cheeks. She had looked horrid. No wonder the man wished to be friends.

Pulling the door open, she wasted no time in running up the stairs and into her room, which happened to be Cassie's old bedchamber. The door opened before she could grab the handle, and a smiling Cassie stood on the other side. "Do you acquire any assistance?"

"Whatever for?"

Cassie rolled her eyes. "Do not pretend to be daft. Peirce. Do you need help dressing for Peirce?"

"I am not dressing for him," Rose mumbled, although they both knew it was a lie. She had not made herself look decent since the man had left. Now that he was back, she would make sure to have her clothing was up to style. The only problem was that in this small village, the only clothing she could find was work gowns.

"Oh, I have something for you," Cassie mumbled while darting out of the room.

Rose watched her cousin leave the room and sighed. Why could she not be more like the Ashmores? Or even her aunt? They all had this air about them that let them know that others opinions did not faze them. Cassie would go into a ball with her hair down, gown stained, and slippers missing with ease. Rose, she would be embarrassed, attempting to hide in the shadows while everyone stared.

"Here it is," Cassie gasped while throwing a green object at Rose's face.

She barely caught it before it smashed into her. Holding it out, she blinked back tears. "You made this?"

"Of course not," her cousin replied with a disgusted expression on her face. "I've had it since father sent me here. Green is not a color that I wear too often though. It compliments your hair and eyes though. You would look beautifully."

"The only colors you wear are brown," Rose mumbled and let out a laugh as Cassie threw a slipper at her face.

"Be nice, cousin. I can make your life very hard."

Rose heard the warning in Cassie's voice and narrowed her eyes at the woman. "Do not meddle."

Cassie held her hands up in surrender while taking a step towards her. "I would never."

"You would," Rose mumbled as she turned her back to her cousin. "Please untie my gown."

Hands swiftly tugged at the ribbon that held her gown in place. "I know a certain person who would love to tug on your ribbon."

"Cassandra!"

Cassie let out a deep laugh. "Once the two of you come to terms with your feelings, you will have a splendid time, trust me."

"I know," Rose whispered.

Cassie's hands froze. "Rose, explain."

Rose shrugged and did not say a word until Cassie began untying the ribbon. "I am not pure."

The hands froze once more, but her cousin did not say anything for what seemed like days. "Who?"

"The normal man," Rose said with a tiny, fond smile. "If you had to guess?"

"A stable hand," Cassie said with a sigh that Rose recognized. "It was him, was it not? The one that you followed around as you were a girl?"

"Yes, it was him. He was quite wonderful, Cassie. I think you should know that."

"Done," Cassie mumbled before turning Rose to face her. Her blue eyes stared into Rose's. "I know. I told him that if he did anything to hurt you, he would be killed."

Rose gasped. "You did not." Her cousin's nod let Rose know just how serious Cassie was. "Why would you do such a thing?"

"In an attempt not to be callous, I have to admit that you are predictable."

Rose pulled away from her and pushed the gown from her body. Grabbing the green gown, she began tugging the material into place before turning her back to Cassie. Cassie's hands began tying the ribbon as Rose replied, "I am not."

"Your father thought me a witch," Cassie said with a twinge of hurt in her voice. Rose winced at the mention of her father. Why her mother had married the man, she would never know. "I was excellent at telling them exactly what you would do with your life, and that was because that you, dear cousin, are predictable."

"Am I really such a bore?"

Cassie finished her work before turning Rose towards her once more. "You are not a bore. It is just that I know you; I know what you will do, and for the most part, I know why you will do it."

"Peirce-"

"Genuinely cares for you, something as small as you not being a virgin will not change that fact. Telling him would be the smartest thing to do, but as I said earlier, I know you. You will wait until the last possible moment before blurting the fact. Do you both a favor."

"What?"

Cassie pushed Rose down into the vanity seat and began piling her hair on top of her head in an intricate design that made her red curls look as if they had different colors throughout it. "Admit the way you truly feel. If not to him, then to yourself."

Rose plopped back into her chair, causing Cassie to tug on her hair in surprise. "You are right, cousin."

"What will you do?"

She glanced down at her gown; the thing fit her perfectly. For once, she looked presentable. Once Cassie was done with her hair, Rose knew that she would look breathtaking. Her cousin may not dress in such, but she had the talent to form a beautiful image. "Admit my feelings, but not to him, Cassie. He is not ready."

Cassie's eyes made contact with hers in the mirror. "You are right; he is not ready at the moment. Give him time, Rose. That will be the most difficult thing, waiting."

She nodded her head, knowing that Cassie's words rung true. It would be difficult to wait for the man to move on. How long would he look at her and wish she were his dead wife? How long would he drown in his sorrow? How long would he hide behind smiles while on the inside he felt empty? Rose did not know the answers to her question, but what she did know was that she was going to wait for him.

***Amazing banner on the side by Platypus1987***