Part 18

Chapter 18

Emily walked into the kitchen, and he braced himself for tears, or worse, but the woman just looked at him before shaking her head.   Walking towards him, she stopped a couple feet away.  “Peirce,” she began, “I know we do not belong to one another, but I fear for you.”

“Fear for me?” he asked in confusion.

She nodded her head, her brown eyes glittering with worry.  “You may think that you are willing to let go of your past, to let Rose become someone you care for, nevertheless, I fear you may be blinded as you were with my sister.”

“Rose is a wonderful woman,” Peirce defended, “and I will not have you belittling her.”

“Peirce,” Emily said in frustration, her sadness slipping into anger, “you are purposely not understanding what I am saying.  I fear for you, yes, but I worry more for Rose.  When the woman finds out all the secrets connected to her, I hope she is strong enough to handle it.”

“What do you mean?” he asked, a sinking feeling settling in his stomach.

“You are good at finding people,” she answered with a shrug, “you solve the mystery.”

“Emily,” he started, but the woman shook her head at him.

“No, Peirce, I need to speak to you, and you will listen.”

He nodded, trying to keep the smile from his face.  The woman was serious, he knew that, but he had never seen her with that certain expression on her face.  “Proceed.”

She glanced at the ground and made circles on the ground with one foot.  “I have done some things to Rose, which is not like me.  I thought that I was protecting you, and I shall admit that I harbored a small fondness for you.  I no longer feel that way though. After seeing the two of you together earlier, I realize that you love her, that you mind will never delve away from that.”

“What did you do to Rose?” he asked, feeling worse as he realized Rose had been telling the truth.

“I threatened her,” Emily mumbled, glancing up at him, “and I honestly feel guilt for my words.”

“How do I know that you are not dishonest now?”

A hurt expression crossed her face, but she nodded.  “While I was attempting to win you from Rose, I found out that I have affections for another.”

“Who?” he asked and smiled when a blush crossed her face.  “Is it Will?”

Her face scrunched up as she shook her head.  Her brown curls going everywhere as she did.  “William, as adorable as he is, would be too much for me.  I do not think I would be able to be a Queen.”

It was Peirce’s turn to be confused.  Who else could the woman be speaking of.  “I do not understand.”

If it was possible, her cheeks reddened more.  “Ramsey,” she mumbled.

“Ramsey?” Peirce asked with disbelief.  A surprised laugh escaped his mouth, and when he saw the complete rage on Emily’s face, he froze.  “I did not mean to laugh.”

Her chin tilted up, her eyes narrowed, and she pursed her lips.  “I do not care what you think of my choice.”

“It is Ramsey, though,” Peirce said.  “There is a slight scandal.”

“He is younger than I,” Emily admitted, “but I believe if we live in Eskdale, there will be little talk.”

“Do you plan to live here for the rest of your time?”

She shook her head.  “No.  We will build our own home, somewhere close by.”

“He is in agreement.”

Glancing at the wall, she bit her lip.  “He does not know.”

“Have you spoken to him?” he asked.

“I have not,” she answered.  “We have not spoken very often.”

“Emily,” Peirce chided, “Cassie will not let you harm the boy.  If any of your thoughts will cause him harm, be prepared to have the Ashmore family destroy you.”

Emily’s face paled slightly, but she sent him a small smile.  “I assure you that I do not plan to harm him in any way.”

“Good,” he mumbled, done with the conversation.  “See to it that you never anger our Cassie.  She smiles, but there is coldness in her when she wishes.”

Emily nodded, ready to speak again, but he shook his head at her and began walking towards the door.  Leaving the kitchen, his thoughts flew through his mind at a rapid rate.  There were secrets he was keeping, but Emily had said secrets that surrounded him. Could there be others he did not know of?  Could there be something so large that it would change his life forever?  He did not know, but Emily was right, he was good at finding people.  He was going to find one person that he knew would know all Elizabeth’s secrets, her mother.

Walking into the foyer, he slammed into another.  He glanced at Colin and smiled.  “Sorry, my mind was elsewhere.”

Colin nodded, a worried expression on his face.  “Peirce, may I speak with you?”

Peirce nodded, even though he wanted to find Rose and leave the manor.  “For a moment, I must be taking my leave soon.”

“For?”

“Work,” Peirce answered before shaking his head.  “It is work, but in a personal manner.  I wish to find someone in my past.”

Something flashed in Colin’s eyes.  “That is what I wish to speak to you about.  Cassie has asked you to find my father, yes?”

“Yes,” Peirce answered hesitantly.

“I want you to stop.  The man is part of my past, and I have learned to forgive, to forget, but I will not have that man around my family, no matter how much he wishes.”

“Colin, she is doing this for you,” he defended.

Colin’s face hardened as he shook his head at Peirce.  “You have never met my father.  Meeting him on my own, I would do, but having him near Cassie, near my children, I will not have.”

“She will not let you meet him alone,” Peirce mumbled.

“I know, which is why I do not wish to see him at all.”

“Colin,” Peirce started, but Colin shook his head at Peirce.

“That is the end of the matter.  Now, find Rose, and dear God, take the woman with you.  I do not think I can listen to Cassie carry on about how much the woman misses you any longer.”

Peirce chuckled as his friend ran up the stairs.  Knowing he was running towards Cassie, Peirce decided to find Rose himself.  Colin was right, it may be improper, it may have been unheard of, but he wanted her with him.  He would find a way to take her with him, even if it meant taking another along.