4 Ally or Foe?

A soft tune floated through my blank mind, drifting me back to the surface of consciousness.

I awoke with a startled cry and instantly felt a pain shoot through my head, forcing me back onto the ground.

The whistling stopped and the sound of footfalls replaced it. I breathed heavily, my limbs aching and my head throbbing heavily.

“So she lives,” a voice mused. “I couldn’t find a bed. I think this will do, no?”

Squeezing my eyes shut, I slowly lifted my head to ease the pain. My throat felt dry and itchy but it didn’t stop me from speaking to the owner of the voice. “Where am I?” I didn’t care who or what this person was. I just needed to know where I’d somehow ended up.

“My house.”

“Where is that?” I growled, rubbing my temples to soothe the ache.

“That’s for me to know and you to never find out.” The voice was male from what I could tell. “Want a mint?”

“No I do not,” I snapped, finding the energy to sit up properly and groaned when I realised my ears felt like they’d been blown off. “It’s not too hard to tell me a location.”

“Actually if it makes you feel better, we’re not too far from an airport,” he said casually. A pair of leather shoes entered my vision followed by a squatting body. A hand shot out into my face though I forced myself not to cringe and stared at it boldly. “I’m sure wherever you come, you’ve been taught to shake hands when meeting someone new.”

“Only when I don’t wake up from the worst migraine in the world,” I said dryly, trying to snap out of my dazed state and into an emotionless, business-like manner. I didn’t know this man and I should definitely stay on guard around him at any cost. With the remaining concentration I had, I threw up my defences and blinked rapidly to clear my vision. “Who are you?”

“I think you should tell me your name first once you’re sane.”

“I’m sane, trust me.” I mustered up the last of my energy and lifted myself to my knees, my vision instantly swimming. I couldn’t see exactly where I was but I could vaguely make out the white walls of what looked to be a room.

A pair of hands wrapped around my upper arms. Instinctively I tensed and a surge of energy rippled across my skin automatically, acting as a defence mechanism. The hands released me followed by the same voice who had spoken to me before, swearing at the top of his lungs. “Holy crap, what the hell was that for?”

Ignoring him, I closed my eyes and took a moment to steady my breath. When I opened my eyes, I slowly turned to face a figure muttering lowly, cradling his hands. “You have magic too – otherwise you’d have a seizure by now.”

“Well I’m glad you wanted me dead but unfortunately that’s not going to happen!” he hissed, glaring at me with the strangest amber eyes I’d ever seen.

I hid my surprise and cocked an eyebrow at him. “What’s your name?”

“Lance – happy now?” he grunted and shook out his steaming hands, his very skin glowing the same amber colour of his eyes. “Your name too.”

“None of your concern,” I told him and glanced at the only exit which happened to be the door he stood in front of. “What happened? To me?” This man had somehow found me when I passed out and I’d been fortunately spared from Hannah’s wrath – but how?

“Angel girl went back to wherever she came from after I used magic on her. I took you with me back to my house and conveniently for you it wasn’t too far from the airport.” Lance glanced up at me with a relaxed expression, no longer seeming to be in pain. “She looked pretty peeved when I shot her with magic before I jumped you out of there.”