1 Limits

“You’re so unfair to him.”

I lifted an eyebrow at the dark-haired girl as I dropped my outstretched arm and watched Lucius drop to the floor in a heap, cursing under his breath. “I don’t think so. He tried to confuse me with his copies last time I fought him.”

Hannah shot me a dry look, her wings shuddering slightly as they stretched from her back elegantly. The grey tips almost looked silver in the dim light of the manor. “That’s different to total incapacitation.”

Snorting, I crossed my arms and joined her on the empty couch which had been pushed against the walls of the room to make more space. “So it’s unfair for me to use my powers when I fight?”

“No,” she said innocently and stretched her feathered limbs, hopping off the couch. “I reckon you should give him a break.” Her ominous black eyes turned to Lucius, a frown on her lips as she looked down on him. I smirked, watching Lucius scramble to his feet and settle on a seat in the corner with April. “He’s not like you and I.”

“And me.” Trace appeared from nowhere, his green eyes glowing slightly as sunlight poured in from the tall windows we sat facing. “Nothing like the three of us.”

I shrugged, taking sympathy on Lucius then shook off the feeling. I was taught not to feel, especially towards my peers. It results on weakness. Curiously, I got to my feet and flexed my fingers, producing a glowing ball of purple from my hands, crackling with energy. “Up for a round, Trace?”

He mirrored my smirk, flicking his dark hair out of his eyes and cocked an eyebrow at me. “Up for another beating, Gail?”

“You’re on,” I challenged, increasing the size of the energy orbs until they were the size of basketballs, engulfing my hand in purple light.

As usual, Trace directly started attacking my mind, crippling me mentally. I let out a gasp of pain, the energy fizzing from my palms as I clutched at my head and suppressed a scream.

I knew Melinda had her ways with the West Wing, charming it so that the rest of the kids in the Manor couldn’t hear us. Good thing too, otherwise I’d probably have blown my cover despite the training I’d received from Melinda, Trace always seemed to better what I’d learned.

“Tap out,” Trace spoke in my mind, his lips still as I stared up at him, wheezes of pain leaving my lips. I clenched my fists, focusing all my energy on his glowing green eyes and grit my teeth.

“Fall,” I hissed, releasing a mental wave of energy from my own mind and felt Trace’s mind at the edge of my attack.

He faltered slightly, the pain lessening on my throbbing head yet it was enough for me to snap back into action.

I hooked my foot behind his knee and pulled it out from under him, forcing him to the ground. In a flash, he recovered, on top of me and ready to deliver the final blow when I clipped him in the jaw and heard a sickening crunch as his head shot to the side.

Rolling out from under him, I scrambled to my feet and produced the purple orbs from my hands, the loud crackle becoming the only noise in the silent common room.

“Leave,” Hannah ordered to the three others sitting in the corner, watching us silently.

Obediently, Lucius, April and Drea left while I kept my focus solely on Trace, determined not to go down so easily this time. Melinda pushed me to my limits and I was getting better – I just needed more practice to defend myself against his mental attacks.

“What’s the matter?” he mocked in a sneering voice and took a daunting step towards me.

I refused to flinch and met his gaze, Hannah’s black eyes boring into me as she watched my every move. Even if the three of us were better than the other three in team C, Hannah and Trace always had their own special bond and it excluded me. I didn’t know what brought them together so closely yet.