«7»

«7»

Roxi

It hurts, it all hurts. They as in the doctors have more they need to do to make sure I recover. And when I say recover I mean live. He, the flat faced beast just clawed at me, I was his personal chew toy that he threw around at the walls enjoying the taste of my blood in his mouth. I haven't lost any limbs but I have fresh scars all over me that cry out when I breath. I couldn't fight him off with anything I was alone and weaponless except for my teeth and claws. Then there was fire, lots and lots fire everywhere, it burned through my skin on my right arm and I wouldn't be surprised that if I looked under my bandage I would see my black bones. The painkillers or whatever drugs they used aren't working. Or maybe it was but wore off? I seriously don't remember a time when I wasn't in pain. I thought I was a goner. Doomed in eternal darkness or wherever the dead go. If I were to become a ghost I would protect Lilac. Especially when her father can't. It would have helped if he was there to tell me what to do and help actually kill the demon. I wonder what happened to it... How many people saw it?
"Alright Roxi." Lulu, one of the nurses pulled open the white curtain and I winced at the sunlight shining on my eyes. Last night they moved me into another room, a secluded room and they stuck needles into me but they said my body was rejecting the drug. I listened and watched everything as they tried to help. Nothing was helping so they left me in here. Lulu is dark skinned and dark haired but her eyes are a exotic green, And she smells like fresh baked cookies. "I'd made some earlier for my kids before I left." Oops I must have said the last part out loud.
"How many kids do you have?"
"Three boys."
"Poor thing." I said sarcastically and she laughed.
"Now lets take a look at your arm..." She unwrapped the bandage to reveal... Well nothing. The burnt skin and black bones is nothing more than my hairy arm and lots of scars. "How?" She took my other arm unwrapping it showing more and fresh scars that looks like they're slowly sealing up. "Uh... Roxi are you feeling any pain?" Now that I think about it. The pain is fading.
"Well... I was but now it's..." Something is up. I slowly sat up my entire torso covered in plaster and the rest of me in uncomfortable bandages. You have know idea how I've been dying to itch my back.
"Uh Roxi stay there I'll get the doctor."
"No Lulu please I..." She left before I could finish and I panicked. I felt trapped under the plaster and I reached for the collar tearing it off me by pieces. I can feel my blood pumping through my veins, it's burning. I ripped up all the bandages and plaster until I was in just my underwear. I jumped out of bed and ran for the door. I grabbed the knob, pushed, pulled. She locked me in... Why would she do that? I looked around the room where a table was sat with all these metal tools. To think the doctors were using those on me. I shuddered and held myself trying to calm my rapid thinking. My hand felt all the scratches along down my arms and I stared down at myself. Eyeing at every artistically shaped scar that was left behind from the battle. My legs, one long gash across my stomach that's been stitched up. I felt my shoulders, and my neck. Then my fingers trailed to a scar underling the right side of my jaw. I shivered then glared at the locked door, my stomach feeling queasy and my eyes stinging with new forming tears. I slumped down onto the floor cradling my deformed legs and started shaking. I know the room is cold but my body went numb. The worst part is, I haven't even seen myself in a mirror...

"Roxi?" Lilac called out from behind the curtain, which I kept closed to avoid trailing eyes of other visitors. It's been one week now and I haven't been able to see Lilac, more I haven't wanted her to see me. I'm deformed, repulsive you could say to even glance at. "Roxi?" Lilac sighed and I flinched her sudden movement towards the curtain.
"I'm not sure you want to see." Some kid from the next bed said and Lilac scowled.
"Shut up she doesn't look that bad." Walter snapped and I started brushing my fingers through my knotted hair. Not that bad huh? Not that bad... Bless Walter for trying to comfort Lilac.
"This is ridiculous." Lilac whispered and then pulled the curtain open and I stared down at my feet letting my hair down. "Rox..." She paused and I waited for the scream of terror or the explosion of tears but all I heard was her calm yet hesitant breathing. She stood where I sat at the edge of the hospital bed and I admired her flat black knee high boots. I think we are both waiting for each other to say something but there's nothing to be said. So we remained in eternal awkward silence apart from the other visitors visiting their children. I've never felt this miserable before, it really pushes you down until the moment you're screaming. Lilac's pale fingers reached for my scared hand and I didn't move. I just let her cover my hand comfortingly, her skin is so cold against mine, but the doctors say I have a fever anyway but I usually feel like this. Knowing her she's probably blaming herself, but it's not her fault. I swear if she thinks that I'm going to slap her. Suddenly she squashed me into a hug. I on basic instinct held her close to me and we rested our heads in each others necks. This is not sexual, this is just love. We only have each other. Our friendship is stronger than anything they can throw at us.
"No matter what..." I whispered.
"We'll always be there for each other." She whispered back holding back a sob. I smelled her neck then growled.
"I smell chocolate." I said and she chuckled into my shoulder.
"I snuck a few chocolate croissants."
"That's my girl." We pulled away and she pulled a container out from a new red hang back that rested on her shoulder. "What happened to your backpack?"
"Mr Haynes stole it off me." Why on earth would he do that? And I was about to ask but the smell of chocolate fuzzed up my brain. "Hey Walter you want one?" She called out and then the bald headed boy walked in and took it from Lilac's hand. She rolled her eyes at him then offered me one which I hogged down within seconds. Soon taking on seconds thirds and suddenly tenths.
"Wow you can eat." Walter commented and I ignored him while Lilac looked at me warily. But ignored her too.
"Slow down you'll get a tummy ache." Lilac warned but ignored feeding this never ending hunger, until the container was empty. I need more. "The doctors are worried about your fever but dad said you can home today if you'd like?" Out there in the world. I don't know...
"I'll come home. However school is a different story." I stated and Lilac chuckled then frowned when she couldn't see my smile.
"We could get someone to help with these." She said in a hushed tone then eyed at Walter before quickly staring at me.
"Hair for jewellery is one thing. But to be healed completely will cost something much greater." I said not caring who listens to us. Not even Walter.
"What are you talking about?" Walter questioned and Lilac hesitated while I rolled my eyes. She's always weak around boys...
"Lilac. Why are we staying in this town longer?"
"We're not for long... By the end of the week we're leaving for the next mission."
"Ugh fine, I hope we get to help this time."
"Doubt it."
"Whatever, I'll convince him. He has to have some pity for me to win this argument." I jumped up off the bed and reached out for ready to catch me if I fell. "I'm fine Lilac. Lets go home already."
"You're both leaving for good?" Walter questioned more Lilac than I. She looked at him bewildered so I just walked off past the other beds with the curious patients and their visitors. I zoned their voices out so the world went past me in a blur. I looked down at the hospital dress and groaned in annoyance. I'm scarred and wearing blue paper. I glared down at the scars along both my arms. Big long gashes that will stick with me everyday to remind me...
"Roxi." A male voice called out. Lilac's scary father stood in a black tracksuit pants and some grey T-shirt. I realised I walked out to the reception desk without realising.
"Mr Valentine." I responded staring up at him and we had few seconds stare down.
"I hope you're alright."
"Only physically." I said dully which only made things more awkward.
"Where's Lilac?"
"She's coming." I assured him. He doesn't need to know about her troubles with boys. And I couldn't be bothered explaining anyway. He bent and picked a big blue sports bag and passed it to me.
"Get dressed and we'll go." No please? Alrighty then....

Lilac

I poured the elixir in Walter's glass of water while he was talking behind me. If Roxi or dad found out I was doing this I'd be in so much trouble. But they won't and they should use this to cure cancer.
"Don't get this the wrong way..." He suddenly said and I turned around eyeing at him curiously. Hearing him say that made my heart skip a beat as well my mind beginning to make up all these conclusions. "But I think I might just miss you."
"Oh..." I blushed a little unsure of what to say so I strode up to him and gave him a hug. He stiffened on the spot but I didn't let go I just nuzzled my face into his neck. "I'll miss you too." I whispered on his neck and I can literally feel his pulse in his neck on my cheek.
"Aw look at them!"
"Ooo..."
"Get a room!" The other children reacted and Walter hesitated then wrapped his arms around my frail body. Hugging me back so I smiled then pulled back placing my hands on his shoulders. I wish I had the guts to pull off a smart remark, just a flirtatious tease.
"Goodbye Walter." I simply said smiling softly at him but his face was all red. Oh god I've completely embarrassed him. I don't think he'll miss me much now...
"I only just met you and already you're going away." Shocked by his words I stood there dumbfounded. "I mean... Uh... Goodbye Lilac." He said awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. I leaned mouth to his ear and licked my lips before whispering. "Drink lots of water ok."
Then I quickly stepped away and started speed walking through the doors out to reception. Dad stood there talking to the lady behind the desk and Roxi was nowhere to be found. I sighed then stood next to dad facing the crowd of people hanging around in the waiting room. All these injured souls, to think I can just order a potion to heal a broken arm. These people have to wait patiently until they're cured or there's the chance of death. I fidgeted with my moon necklace and continued to eye at everyone in the room.
"Lilac..." I turned my head to see Roxi in faded jeans and a big blue hoodie with a white wolf head picture on the front. She smiled at me then sniffed the air, her eyes widened and she whipped her head to the right then charged at me. "Lilac!" Her smile was gone and she grabbed my hand in hers. "Look who's here." She whispered and I looked dead ahead and then gasped in shock. Mr Haynes.
"Holy."
"Shit."

✨💫✨

Roxi

"Hush hush girls. No need for that kind of language." He said and I know Lilac couldn't hear him so I repeated it for her. And before her turned around Mr Haynes sped out the door with his sonic speed and I heard Lilac shudder.
"Alright girls lets head home." Her father said and we followed him out. I kept a lookout for Mr Haynes as we were directed to the car.
"Mr Valentine?" I called out and he looked over his shoulder to stare down at me.
"What is it? Are you in pain?" He questioned which surprised me that he cared to ask but I shook it off.
"Uh... Yes I'm fine but just before I saw Mr Haynes the vampire we were hunting down." I told him and he froze then turned around to kneel down on one knee in front of me. His concerned glare surprised me even more. Don't get your hopes up he's thinking about his daughter.
"When?"
"Just before in the waiting room. He only glimpsed at us then left. I think he just wanted to see if Lilac was alive." I explained to and Lilac stiffened then eyed worriedly at her father.
"Daddy? What would he want with me?"
"Nothing. Lets just go home and pack your things." He said then whipped around to storm to the Volkswagen.
"Pack? But dad." Lilac started but I interrupted.
"Jesse is dating Trisha. Get over it." I snapped at her which was harsh I realise now but I just rushed to the backseat of the car. Slamming the door hard. Lilac climbed into the other seat her expression blank and her eyes sad. I'm not going to apologise, she needed to hear it.
"What's the next monster?" Lilac asked and Mr Valentine opened up his little notebook. Brown leather cover and lined paper.
"Night critters." He simply said and that could be anything... "I'm going to need your help with this one."
"Really?" Both Lilac and I gasped in surprised.
"Where are we heading?" I asked him.
"Morganville then we'll head to Boston."
"What's in Boston?"
"Rogue wolf."
"Werewolves!" I said excitedly then he started the car.
"It's finally time I put you girls into good use."