«1»

Lilac

"Daddy there's someone over there..." I whispered and his hand tightened around his gun. We were just taking an afternoon walk from grandma's house. We live with her but daddy always sneaks off when he thinks I'm asleep, I hear them arguing and often sometimes it's about mummy. I stopped thinking when I heard daddy's gun click. The little creature that's lurking in the shadows whimpered in fear, I don't think it's a threat otherwise it would have attacked us by now. I crawled through dark green bushes to get to the little clearing, the sun shone down on me and I felt like I was under the spotlight.

"Lilac get back here." My father whispered but I chose to ignore him which will probably get me in trouble later. I'm small enough to stay unnoticed, if he came out now the creature would run away and I really want to find out what it is. My eyes squinted to see into the shadows and then it shuffled away whimpering again. Is it a puppy?!

"Hello?" I called out to it but it fell silent, I heard my daddy whisper my name and scolding but I concentrated on the, well what ever it is. Then I realised it's human girl. "Come on out I'm not going to hurt you." I insisted but she shook her head. "I want to see what you look like."

"You might not like what you see." She said in a frightened tone then she looked behind me. I turned around and glared at father.

"Daddy put the gun down and come out here." I ordered but it wasn't needed because he had already put it on safety and it hanged by his side as he tried to see the girl in the shadows. I faced her again and she was still in the same spot.

"Come into the light little one." Daddy said softly but she hesitated.

"We promise not to hurt you! I just want to see what you like... Please." We stood in a eternal silence so of course my father lost a bit of patience.

"Lilac, Pretty name." She finally said, her voice sounds soft and gentle so I tried picturing what she looks like. I imagine long golden hair, big blue eyes and smooth milky skin.

"May we ask your name?" Daddy said formally so I rolled my eyes.

"M...my name is... I don't really know." She said confused.

"You don't know your own name?" I questioned and she jumped and my rise of tone. "Sorry... I'll give you a name!" I said excitedly completely forgetting daddy's standing next to me.

"Ok tell me one."

"I have to see what you look like first." I heard her sigh then she took a step forward into the sunshine. Her little bare foot, covered in dirt, muck and little cuts. The sun finally showed herself and I got her all wrong in my head. Her hair is mud brown and not just because it's covered in dry mud, the blue eyes I got right, deep ocean blue and her skin is tanned but covered in scrapes and bruises and she's naked. My dad took his long coat off and covered her up head to toe and she button herself up mumbling a thank you but then she backed away. "You're pretty." I said to try and comfort her and it worked. "Can she come with us?" I asked daddy but he stared down at her suspiciously.

"Where are your parents?" He questioned.

"I don't know."

"Who takes care of you?"

"I don't know." She said again but this time more nervous, so I stood by her.

"Where do you live?" He asked more fiercely.

"I don't know..."

"Daddy!" I scolded and he gave her this look, I know that look very well. It's his thinking look, he puts his thoughts together and thinks of logical stuff that I don't much care about. Sometimes I picture his brain as some clockwork machine that clicks every thought in place.