Chapter Three

Sorry guys, my laptop broke so im doing this on the family computer

Hope you all had a merry christmas!

What should Dernhelm name the wolf pup? Post in the comments!

Want to have a character in the next chapter. Post or send ideas to me of what their like!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I gave the wolf cub over to a Black haired man before we set off. I donned the new cape and I held the kings banner high. We cantered towards the village King Theoden had assigned us to. Falkas was the same as ever and Bodor kept a hand on his sword hilt. Swiftfire continued to kick his hind legs in the air playfully and hit off of Kicker and Flame, Falkas horse. I had a bad time controlling him as it was and I didnt need Swiftfire to turn the situation into a dominance fight.

I pulled swiftfire to a halt at the top of the hill that used to be a paddock. Swiftfire snorted and tossed his head nervously and Bodor surveyed the scene below us. Bodor glanced at Falkas and a hidden message seemed to pass between them. Falkas flicked his head down at a nearby house and Bodor nodded before he nodded casually at something in the center.

"Bodor? Falkas?" I asked them with a worried tone in my voice " What is it?"

"Hillmen." Falkas said it simply and I looked at him my mouth in a wide "O" shape.

"Put your helm on Dernhelm," He nodded at the helm strapped to my saddle " Only a fool goes into battle with no Helm on."

I nodded and unstrapped it with one hand before I put it on my head and did the straps up. Bodor had his helm on. It was a standard issue Rohirrim helmet, but it had horse hair coming down in a ridge from the top to the bottom of the helm. Falkas helm was like mine, a simple one. Swiftfire suddenly whinnied and kicked his legs into the air and began to buck around. I held onto the spear with the flag firmly and the reins aswell. I was determined not to be thrown from the saddle and soon Swiftfire calmed down.

"Theres something wrong here Bodor" Falkas said it with a weary glance.

"Aye. Swift sensed it and I dont think its going to be good if his jumping around like a young foal."

"I say we dismount here and go down on foot." Falkas replied and since he was the senior, we decided we had to listen.

We dismounted and tied the horses firmly to the paddock fence. I held the lance high until Falkas looked at me and said; "Leave the lance and unsheath your sword."

"I dont have one"

Falkas sighed and pulled out a long dagger. He tossed it to me and I caught it by the handle, before i stuck it into my belt. We went down the hill at a leisurely pace. Then we got to the center of the village. I gasped and dropped to my knees. My cloak swirling around my feet. Bodor laid a hand on my shoulder to give me courage and Falkas cursed and kicked at the nearest thing. It was a cross. On it were nailed various human bodys and worst of all, their was babys and children nailed onto adults.

"Bastards.." Falkas growled and spun to face us "..Bodor, take the houses on the left, Ill take the houses at the top of the village. Dernhelm, take the houses at the left of the village."

"Aye" Bodor replied and nodded his head.

I only managed a nod, fearing if I opened my mouth id get sick.

I searched the first two houses and found nothing. Which is what i expected to find. In the third house. A man was surronded by dead Hill men, his body pierced by arrow shafts with black feathers. The fourth and fith houses wall were splattered with blood and as I was nearing the sixth house, Swiftfire and the horses whinnied nervously. I took no notice and stepped into the house. It was bland. Devoid of anything. Then there was a gutturaul roar and a spied maul smashed into the side of my helm. It was the helm that saved me, I realised later. I fell, thinking i was dead. The hillman jumped onto me and stabbed at my face with a dagger...