Chapter Two

I assumed it took three days to get From Edoras to Helms deep?

My knowledge isnt very good!

What do you think Dernhelm should name the wolf cub? Post in the comments

----------------------------------

The ride from Edoras to Helms deep took three long days. I entertained myself by looking at the wolf cub. It was a male and it seemed to love the attention. I had donned the armour the blacksmith had given me and my mother had assured me that i would be waiting with her underneath Helms Deep in the caves. I had no intention of doing that but I went along with it as Bodor told me ''With a Smile''.  Swiftfire had grown to Seventeen hands high. The same Height as Kicker as Bodor had told me with a grin. My mother travelled with the women in the group and i travelled with Falkas Firebeard and Bodor. I enjoyed their company because in their eyes, I had most likely become a Man.

On the Second day after camping out. A rider came galloping towards us as Falkas Firebeard was trying to explain how to swing a lance the right way. I was listening carefully and the little wolf cub I had yet to name had settled between my lap and the saddle Pommel where he settled there contendtly. Shaggydog had stayed with my mother loyally.  He might have thought my mother was lonely but after he found out he wasnt and tried to get away. She had the thought's that he was trying to play wit hthe children. So she slipped a rope around his collar and walked him at a ladys pace. I had looked at him halfways through the first day and if a dog had the ability to look angry and sad at the same time. It was Shaggy dog. The rider galloped up to us on a Bay mare who shook her head. The rider controlled her easily and looked at me. "Are you Dernhelm Isangrimsson?" He asked me quickly.

"Yes I am." I replied casually and carefully. "Why?" I occupied myself with a saddle strap and the rider looked at the wolf cub for a second.

"King Theoden wants to see you." He said it simply and spun his mare around to face the front of the long line of people. "Ill race you to show you how a real warrior handles his horse?"

He said it simply with a smile beneath his helmet to show he meant no harm at all. My face flushed and I handed the wolf cub over to Falkas. He took it with a smile and i slided Swiftfire up against the man and his mare.

"Im ready" I said it simply and gripped the reins tightly. "GO!" I bellowed out the word and slapped my heels and reins against Swiftfire as the mare pulled away.

Swiftfire snorted angrily and charged after her. She was far ahead and the man was urging the horse onto greater speeds. Swiftfire was aptly named and he began to take longer strides. He was snorting and I occasionaly called out to him. He snorted and the soldier looked back. He seemed shocked but not for long. I slapped my heels against his body again and he let out a neigh. He passed the bay mare. The two of us whooped and I pulled Swiftfire to a halt. Theoden looked back at me and trotted over on Snowmane, his white horse.

"Dernhelm?" He asked casually with a smile as the light played on his greying hair.

I nodded, unable to speak. Here I was in front of my king and i couldnt speak. Luckily he sensed it and pulled out a fine cloak.

"This was your fathers. He asked for me to give it to you when you came of age and I guess you havve." He smilled and tossed the cloak over and I caught it easily. It was Black, with a grey wolf pelt along the shoulders. I nodded at the king as tears welled in my eyes. I looked down and blinked them away rapidly. I wasnt going to cry in front of the king.

"That wasnt the real reason I brought you here though. I want you, Falkas and Bodor to investigate that village yonder." He waved his hand in the general direction abesentmindely. "Can you handle it?"

"Y-yes Sir!" I found my voice at last and replied and he smiled.

"Get on to it then!" Then he spun his white horse around and cantered to the front of the line as i cantered back to Falkas and Bodor and told them of what our assignment was.