Chapter 27 - Frustration

Cherrie brushed her hand across her damp cheek. She caught her reflection in the mirror and saw the tears running down her cheeks. She didn’t even realise she was crying. She stood silently staring at the empty hospital bed and then across at her parents.

“Cherrie maybe he has been moved to another ward.” Her mother said coming towards her and giving her a hug.

“Maybe he died!” Cherrie exclaimed, “And now I will never know if he was the man from my dreams.”

“Cherrie, Honey, you will meet somebody special someday. Someone meant just for you.” Her father said trying to sound positive.

“I don’t want anyone else but Cole.”

“Sweetheart, he is from your dreams, he doesn’t really exist. Maybe you will find someone like him, but not him.” Her mother said reassuringly.

“He exists Mom, I can feel it, and I won’t settle for anyone else. Even if he is dead now, I will never fall in love again.”

“Cherrie!” Her father exclaimed irritably, “You need to pull yourself together. Dreams do not come true.”

Cherrie ignored her father’s statement and strode deliberately to the reception desk and asked where the man was that had been in that ICU room.

“You mean Mr Steele?” the nurse asked.

“Yes,” Cherrie replied, “Cole Steele.” She mentioned his first name looking at the nurse hoping for confirmation that the man she was in love with was not just a dream.

Cherrie held her breath while the nurse checked the computer screen and she could hardly believe her ears when the nurse confirmed his name.

“Cole Steele, yes here it is. He has been moved to a private nursing home.”

“Do you know which one?” Cherrie asked.

“Sorry I can’t give out that information unless you are immediate family.” The nurse smiled apologetically.

Before Cherrie could answer the nurse continued “If you were immediate family, you would already know which hospital he is in.”

Cherrie felt she wanted to scream.  How did the nurse know she was going to lie about her family connection to Cole? Damn! how could she be so perceptive?

Infuriated by this new information, which still left her in the dark; Cherrie stormed passed her parents heading towards the exit. She just had to find some way of finding Cole, but how? Maybe if she dreamt about him again, she would try to remember to ask him if he knew where he was.

Cherrie approached two paramedics just outside the hospital and asked them if they had taken a man by the name of Cole Steele to a private hospital. They said they hadn’t. Cherrie knew it was a shot in the dark, that they would be the ambulance crew who took Cole. Damn she didn’t even know what he looked like in real life.  He may be totally different from her dreams.

As her parents approached her, Cherrie turned to face her mother, “Mom, what if he doesn’t look anything like the Cole in my dreams?”

“Cherrie, I really think you are taking this too far my dear.” Her father remarked, “You’re in love with a dream and you know dreams don’t come true.”

“Honey your father is right. You’ve let this dream take over your life. You’re obsession with finding this Cole from your dreams is going to make you ill."

“Mom!” Cherrie exclaimed squaring up to her parents with her hands on her hips, “I will find him, just wait and see and then I’ll prove he is more than just a dream.”