Chapter 23 - Purple Rainbows

At the doctor’s surgery Cherrie sat with her mother waiting for her appointment.  She was hoping that the doctor would prescribe her sleeping tablets so that she could get at least a couple good nights dreamless sleep.

After the incidence in the shoe shop, Cherrie realised how upset and stressed her mother was and how concerned she was for Cherrie’s health and well-being. She felt that a few good nights’ sleep without dreaming, would help her feel relaxed and put things into perspective for her.

That night Cherrie swallowed two tablets with a hot drink, instead of the one the doctor had prescribed, and after a relaxing bubble bath, she lay back on her bed and snuggled under her duvet.  She wanted to sleep for the next twelve hours without any thoughts creeping into her head and hopefully no dreams either. Dreaming of Cole was driving her insane.  Her mother was right, he didn’t really exist, except for in her head, and for everyone’s sake she had to forget him and block him out of her mind and her dreams.

She felt relaxed but not sleepy and tried to clear her mind of all thoughts staring at the soft lilac canopy of her four poster bed.  Cherrie could hear the gentle snoring of her father in the room next door to her.

***

Cole felt himself slipping into a soft soothing darkness that engulfed every feeling and memory of anything.  He could not understand where he was, why he was there or even who he was.  He floated on a blanket of inky blackness and he had no wish to move or think past the here and now.  He felt at peace ….

Cole’s attention was caught by something floating just beyond the corner of his eye. He didn’t really want anything disturbing this overwhelming silence and peace that surrounded him and felt a little annoyed by the floating object that appeared to be getting larger and invading his space.

As he tried to ignore it, the shape took on a purple colour which seemed to grow in size. It got bigger and rounder the closer it got and began to block out all the blackness that once surrounded him. The growing purple shape drifted closer and he noticed how perfectly round it was. The size, shape and colour were slightly hypnotic and he could not figure out if he was moving towards it, or if it was moving towards him.

Jumbled thoughts inside his head warned him to pull away, but something hidden deep inside was drawing him closer till he reached out his hand to touch it and to his amazement his hand disappeared inside the purple circle. He pulled it out quickly and was surprised to see it was unharmed.

Cole heard laughter and spun around to see where it was coming from, but there was no one but him hovering outside this purple sphere.  He heard the laughter again. It was such a beautiful sound, so warm and inviting. He listened again bending his ear towards the purple sphere. It was coming from inside this purple haze. The temptation to poke his head through the purple object to see where the laughter was coming from was irresistible.

As he pushed his head through the purple wall it gave way to a sight he never imagined ever seeing. There floating on a purple cloud was the most incredibly beautiful woman. Her long hair was different shades of purple; she was dressed in petals, purple flower petals, which seemed quite unreal and dreamlike. He wasn’t quite sure if he was dreaming and he wished she would come closer so he could see if she was real or just a figment of his imagination.

No sooner had the thoughts left his mind than she was floating right in front of him. Her eyes were big and bright and tinted purple. Her long lashes curled right back up against her purple eyebrows. She had to be some mythical creature that floated around on lilac clouds in a purple sphere.

This was all surreal, how on earth did he get here. The moment she spoke her voice rang bells in his head. From some distant memory he recalled that voice and it filled him with pleasant thoughts. While this thought wave drifted through is boggled brain she tickled his nose with a feather which made him sneeze. When she spoke her voice sounded so familiar. While he was trying to recall where he had heard her voice before, she invited him to come inside her world. No sooner had she spoken, when he found himself sucked inside the sphere.