Chapter 19 - Do Dreams Come True

Waking, to find the sun had slipped behind the trees, she stretched out her limbs and sat up slowly. She looked at her watch and realised that she’d been asleep virtually all day.  She noticed the rug that her mother had kindly covered her with. Her mother was always so caring and thoughtful; even now that Cherrie was an adult.  More so, since she’d been through hell and back with her heart transplant, and now the brain tumour operation.  But she was finally on the mend, and found it easier to sleep. Perhaps the hidden brain tumour had been the cause of her insomnia all along.

Cherrie thought back to her dreams and couldn’t understand the strong attachment or the emotional feelings she had for the man in her dreams, as night after night she found him.  Why did he constantly make an appearance?  Now as she sifted through her day dreams, trying to recall every detail, she thought that something important had happened between them. She touched the scar on her chest which had now healed to barely visible, but in her dream it was stark and red and raw. It looked as if she’d just come out of theatre. Cherrie felt her heart beat quicken as she tried to remember that part of her dream, or was it a nightmare.

‘Cole had said something about her heart ….. Cole …..’ she remembered his name. Her thoughts wavered for a moment as the realisation hit her. ‘That must mean something, he must be real, or something about him must be real.  I need to find him, but how?’

Cherrie sat contemplating this new piece of information when her mother called her in for dinner.

“Mum, is there any way I can find out who my heart donor was?”

Her mother looked at her curiously. “Why do you want to know, Cherrie?”

“My dreams seem to be connected to my heart and I would just like to know who she or he was, and if possible, why they died?”

“Cherrie, I really don’t think that the hospital will tell you, especially if the family have requested that they remain anonymous.”

“Do you know if they made such a request?”

“Cherrie, I suggest you let it go and stop living in dreams dear, it’s not going to do your health any good,” her father remarked.

Her mother nodded in agreement.

“If I could just find out whom my donor was and how they died, I think I can put these dreams to rest. It’s important to me, Dad. I feel such a strong connection with this person, almost as if I’m living their dreams.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” her father remarked, frowning at her.

Her mother ignored her father’s remark and replied, “Cherrie, if it will put your mind at ease, give the hospital a call in the morning and see if they are willing to give you any information.”

“Yes, thanks Mum. I think I will.”

“And if they don’t, I hope you’ll put these silly thoughts and dreams to bed and move on.  You need to concentrate on your own healing now. Two big operations in the space of two years is a major traumatic experience for any normal person,” her father stated.

“I’ll try, Dad.”

Her mother squeezed her hand and gave her one of her motherly concerning looks.  A frown creased her brow and a faint smile touched her lips.

“If you’ll excuse me now, I think I’ll go and shower and then read in bed till I fall asleep.”

“That’s a good idea, darling. I’ll check in on you later and turn off your reading light should you fall asleep with it on.”

“Thanks, Mum,” Cherrie said, standing up and kissing her parents goodnight.

As she climbed into bed with her book, she realised that she would not give up on her quest to find the man in her dreams. He felt so real after her last dream, his pain and his anguish tormented her.  He definitely seemed to know whose heart she had beating inside her.