Chapter 22 - Alternatives

~ Davina

When Pan takes Henry to camp, I decide to go and check on the Jolly Roger. I reach the beach, only to see absolute peace - not even a single cloud in the sky, just the moon and the stars - and absolutely no ship. What? Where did they go? They didn't capsize, did they? We both arrived on the North side of the island, so the tentacled monster is far away. I can't sleep not knowing what happened. I want to rest, but that can come later. I walk through the trees, somehow knowing my way, until eventually, I hear their familiar voices. I peer around the corner, backtracking so I'm out of view, hidden behind some bushes. I part the leaves so I can watch. Thank the Gods they're still alive.

"We don't have to do it this way. I can fix the Jolly Roger. My magic is powerful enough. We can execute the pirate's plan," Regina says.

"Sneak attack? Let's not be naïve. Save your magic. We'll need it later, because Pan already knows we're here. It's time we stop running. Gold was right. This land is run on belief. All of us have been too busy being at each other's throat to be...believers. I was as wrong as anyone else. It's time for all of us to believe. Not in magic...but in each other," Emma replies.

You are most definitely Snow White and Charming's daughter.

"You want to be friends? After everything that's happened between all of us?" Regina questions.

"I don't want or expect that. I know there's a lot of history here, a lot of hate," Emma says.

"Actually, I quite fancy you from time to time, when you're not yelling at me," Hook answers. I roll my eyes, of course you do.

"We don't need to be friends. What we need to know, is the only way to get Henry back, is cooperation."

"With her? With him? No, Emma. We have to do this the right way," Charming decides, gesturing at my uncle and Regina.

"No, we don't. We just need to succeed. And the way we do that is by just being who we are — a hero, a villain, a pirate. It doesn't matter which because we're going to need all those skills, whether we can stomach them or not," Emma argues.

"And what's your skill...Saviour?" Regina asks. Good point.

"I'm a mother. And now I'm also your leader. So either help me get my son back or get out of the way."

Looks are exchanged, before Emma walks off into the jungle with Snow, Charming, Hook and finally, Regina in tow. I release the tension I'm holding, now knowing that they're all safe. I follow them through the jungle for a little while before deciding to head off in my own direction to get some rest. As soon as I find a good spot, I settle down. I hum to myself until my eyes droop shut, and the only thing I can hear, are the cries of the children.

- - -

When I wake, it's early in the morning. Not even Pan will be awake yet, which gives me the perfect opportunity to explore the island, as I have minimal chances of getting caught. Before I begin my exploration, I find something to eat. I would go back and raid the treehouse, but then I would more than likely get caught. It's a lot harder than the last time I was here. It's definitely overgrown. I have to hack away at new bushes that have grown so that I have access to edible berries, and I manage to find a small pool of water where a few fish swim to and fro. Deciding to accept my magic, I find the power within myself to create a ball of fire, which I'm able to do quite easily, to my surprise. I cook the fish, and cover the remains of the ashes, making sure to hide my tracks. With restored energy, I begin my journey. I have a rough idea of where these so-called Echo Caves are, so I begin with making my way to the tallest tree on the island, because then I can see everything in it's entirety and have a clearer idea of where to go. It does mean treading carefully because that tree is surrounded by dreamshade. I don't want to die here. If I'm going to die, it's going to be at sea. That, I'm sure of.