Chapter 4 - Secrets of Neverland

~ Davina

"Davina, come with me," Pan orders, appearing out of nowhere.

I smile at Bobby, who was showing me how he makes his arrows by the campfire, with his initial on the point. I brush the dirt from my trousers, giving Bobby a smile, and follow Pan; he leads me through the tree house - it's bigger than I expected. A kitchen, big enough to hold two ship crews and a sitting space across the corridor. We ascend up a wooden spiral staircase; we walk past four rooms, each with five beds in it - for the Lost Boys, clearly. We come to an opening with one wall that has two doors.

"My room," he says, pointing to the door on the right, "Your room," and he points to the left.

I push the door open; a double bed, a chest, lanterns, a filled bookshelf and three windows - two small, one large.

"Thank you..." I say, confused. "Why though? Bit of a change of tune from keeping me in a cage."

"I thought it would be nicer than sleeping in a tree," he says.

"It makes no difference to me where I sleep as long as I get it. Like I said, I've had worse."

He ignores my comment, heading towards the door. "Please, make yourself at home." He says flatly, and then turns, disappearing down the stairs.

Hm. Odd.

I unclip my velvet cape and throw it onto my bed, relishing the feeling of fresh air on my usually-covered shoulders, stretching my neck. This room is certainly brighter than my cabin on the ship, and a thousand times better than the various prisons I've experienced. Although, this is too nice of him...maybe it's his way of apologising about his assumption, but something tells me different. The books are simply tales I've heard many times before, some just full of illustrations of the world and the chest is empty. I sigh, choosing not to reject this comfort. Under my window, I see the Boys milling about, either cooking over the bonfire, whittling, laughing, chasing each other. They're so free. 

From this window, I can easily sneak in and out, but Pan can also keep an eye on me on the nights he sits with the Lost Boys. Deliberate. I turn to face the room itself. How odd that he has made this for me, certainly when I intend to not make my stay permanent. Not that he thinks that. Why does Pan want me to stick around? And why does he negotiate so easily with me? Questions, questions, questions. 

For now, I will enjoy the time I have here. I clip my cape back on, and descend the staircase inside the treehouse. Can't let him see my escape route yet.

I return to Bobby, who has finished a few more arrows. "Beautiful work," I compliment.

He grins with pride, "They're for you. Pan said you were good with arrows. He said I make the best ones."

I smile back at him; he hands me one of his finished arrows - the head is made of thin stone, bound with twine. The body is a stripped twig with silvery feathers at the end.

"What about a bow?" I ask.

"Ricky should be done soon. He's probably gone to find some twine for the string," he explains.

Just as he says it, Ricky appears from a path, with a carefully crafted recurve bow. It's dark and polished with a carving in the edge.

"Here," he says, throwing it to me; I catch it in one hand. I can tell he doesn't particularly like me.

"Much appreciated," I answer, an attempt at building bridges.

"Whatever," he mumbles as he walks away.

I shrug, deciding to go for a walk through the other parts. Most is forest, but I come across a lake, which seems to be used for bathing. Wait, do they even...? I shake the thought, continuing on my adventure. I find a cliff side, stretching for miles above me, but nothing I can't handle. I climb up the side to find a collection of grey, glittering rocks. Walking down the dusty path, I come to a wall of vines. I look closer and see thorns dripping with a black liquid. Note to self: don't touch that.