6. A Late Visit

It was in the middle of the night when the phone started to ring. Adam groaned as he sat up and looked around for the phone. According to the alarm clock it was almost one thirty in the morning. Adam sighed as he reached over and picked up the phone after a few rings. He was rubbing the sleep out of his eyes as he answered it.

     "Hello?" Adam called out.

     "Hello there, Mr. Freeloader." The voice at the other end answered.

     "Oh... hey Dad," Adam said as he slowly sat up in bed, "Do you realize that it's half past one in the morning over here?"

     The old man was calling him at eight-thirty and wasn't used to the time zone difference. Knowing his Dad, the old man was probably still at the office doing last minute work and decided to call. "Sorry about that."

     "It's okay," Adam said as he layed down on his pillow. "What are you doing?"

     "Working," The old man replied, "Something you're not doing."

     "What makes you say that?" Adam asked.

     "Cause you're still in Gay Pair-ree." His father answered. "I sent you there to attend a funeral, not stay an extra few days and take some personal time."

     "I was asked to stay," Adam explained. "What was I supposed to say?"

     "You're supposed to say no." His father coldly answered.

     "What if the person that made the request is named Bouchard?" Adam countered, loving the chance to drop that truth bomb on the old man.

     There was a long, uncomfortable silence. Adam waited for that little detail to sink into his father's head. It didn't take too long.

     "You were asked to stay in town by the Bouchards?" his father asked.

     "Yes, I was." Adam confirmed.

     "What about your room?" his father cried, worried he was still in the suite. "Are we still holding the tab on that?"

     "Nope," Adam said as he finally let the old man off the hook. "It's being covered by the Bouchards for the entire duration; even the mini bar."

     The old man on the other end laughed. "I should send you out on these business trips more often. You seem to have a knack for connecting with clients."

     "You have no idea." Adam said with a soft chuckle.

     "Well done kid," His father said as he also chuckled. "Well done!"

     "Thanks for the vote of confidence." Adam said as he looked at the time. The reading of the will wasn't until after lunch so there was plenty of time to get ready. "Do you mind if I go back to sleep now?"

     "Alright," The old man said as he also sighed. The idea of the Bouchards picking up the tab seemed to relieve his worries. "Give me a call later today and we'll talk more about this and you can give me all the dirt."

     "Will do," Adam replied, "Wait, hold on a second."

     "What is it, sport?" the old man asked.

     "What's going on with Jen?" Adam asked, "She hasn't tried to call me."

     "The house burned down," his father reminded him, "She barely had enough time to get out alive, so she didn't stop to pick up her mobile phone. She doesn't have your number and I'm not moved enough to give it to her."