1. Arriving In Paris

Adam Lucas was standing in line to check through customs. There had to be at least thirty people in front of him and it showed no signs of moving along any faster. For a bunch of people who just spent several hours crossing the Atlantic Ocean, you'd think the people at customs wouldn't make them wait any longer than they had to. Yet there Adam stood, sweating his ass off in a suit as he waited for the line to move. Almost as if it could sense his impatience, the line simple refused to budge. As if things couldn't get any worse, his cell phone started to buzz in his pocket. Adam fished it out of his pocket and glanced at the screen. It was Jenny. She wasn't home when he had packed and was sure to flip out, especially when she eventually fished all the details out of him. He had to pack and get ready to go without any notice what so ever.

      His Dad had called him while he was at the gym, working out before coming down to see him. He always worked out with his cell phone because all his favorite music was on it and also in case his Dad wanted to get a hold of him. When he answered that call, the conversation was a little less awkward than the one he was about to answer.

     "Hello." He said as he turned the machine off he was running on.

     "Adam, it's Dad." His father called out to him.

     "I know it's you." Adam said as he wiped his brow with a towel. "I assigned a specific ringtone to your contact profile. So I knew it was you the moment it rang."

     "We have a problem," His father said, disregarding the comment about how awesome cell technology has gotten. "I need you to pack up and fly to France."

     "France?" Adam repeated back to him, somewhat confused.

     "Yes, France!" his Dad repeated, "Where all the frogs are."

     "I know that." Adam said, as he sighed. "Why do I need to go there?"

     "A client has passed away." The old man replied, "Have you ever heard of Caroline Bouchard?"

     "The actress?" Adam asked, somewhat knowledgeable about old movies. She was a star back in the days of black and white classics of the 50s and early 60s.

     "The very same," His father said with a tone that suggested he was rather impressed. "She kicked the bucket a few days ago and we need to send someone out there to represent the company."

     "I don't get it," Adam said, trying to grasp the situation, "Why do we need to attend the funeral of an old actress?"

     "Until a few days ago, she was the owner of Bouchard Enterprises." His father said as he wound up for the punch line. "They own a small company we do business with; L'Auberge Rouge."

     Adam stood there at his treadmill in stunned silence. "You're shitting me!"

     "I shit you not, my boy." His father said with laugh, "That old bat was the owner of one of the biggest hotel chains in the world, which also made her one of our biggest clients. This is why I need you to fly out there asap and represent!"

     "Hold on," Adam said, "Why aren't you going?"

     "I hate to fly." The old man answered, "You know that."

     "And when is the funeral?" Adam asked.

     "Tomorrow," His Dad replied, "I need you out there yesterday!"

     Adam paused for a moment. "Alright, I'll go home and pack right now."

     "Good, I'll book your ticket." His father said, sound rather happy he wasn't going to have to jet out to do this task.