Chapter 7- Crashing Down On Me

(AUDRIANA’S POV)

In just two weeks I was out of the hospital with only a few scars on me. I felt a whole lot better. On the other hand, there was no progress with Maurice. He didn’t have any brain activity at all and he still needed the respirator since he wasn’t breathing on his own. And, since everyone was either at work or was taking classes at the university, I had no one at the hospital with me. But, Chris did call me every other day asking how Maurice was, and every time he called, it made me feel closer to him.

I was sitting in Maurice’s room reading a magazine, waiting for the doctor to explain everything that’s going on, when a beeping sound suddenly came from the machine that was hooked up to him. I quickly stood up and went to his bed to see what was going on. There were so many different things showing up on the screen, but I saw a number was quickly decreasing. In no less than five seconds, nurses rushed in.

“Mrs. Brooks, you have to leave…now!” one of the nurses said.

With no hesitation, she pushed me out of the room, and I stood there frozen with fright for what was going on. I had no clue what was happening and I just prayed that Maurice was okay. I paced back and forth by the door waiting for the nurses to come back out and tell me everything was fine. Instead, the head doctor walked into the room without saying a word to me. I heard loud talking in the room and the beeping sound was getting faster and faster. I immediately broke down crying. I knew it was something serious.

I quickly called my mom just to have someone calm me down.

“Hello?” she picked up on the first ring.

“Mom, something’s happening to Maurice and I don’t know what. The doctors and nurses are in there with him! I’m so scared right now,” I could barely speak from being so nervous.

“Sweetie, just calm down…What’s going on?” she asked.

“I don’t know! They won’t let me in! I can’t even see what’s going on! Just come quick!” I yelled.

“Alright,” she hung up.

I thought about movies where the machine would beep and beep then all of a sudden you would hear one sound with a flat line on the screen signifying no pulse from the patient. I suddenly became petrified.

I didn’t know who else to call. I knew Alexis and Lena were tired of making trips back and forth to the hospital just to comfort me, so I didn’t try to bother them too much. I decided to dial another number.

“Hello, Chris?” I said when someone picked up.

“Yeah, I’m on my way now,” he said.

I immediately remembered that he was coming that day. He had finished the last few shows and did a couple more interviews before finally heading back to the US, and his first stop was Atlanta.

“Okay, but hurry, because something is wrong. I’m not sure what it is, but I just have this bad feeling,” I said between my sniffles.

“Alright, I’ll be there in ten.” He hung up.

The doctors burst through the door with Maurice still on the stretcher and they moved quickly down the hall with him without saying a thing to me. I grabbed one of the nurses by the arm.

“What’s. Going. On,” I demanded an answer.

She looked at me with wide eyes, “I’m sorry Miss Brooks, but I can’t talk right now. We’re about to do surgery on Maurice. This is really serious,” she said and I let go of her arm.

She rushed down the hallway with the other doctors, and I was frozen. They never had to do surgery before. I didn’t know what suddenly happened.

My phone rang, “Hello?”

“Audri,” it was my mom, “I’m stuck in traffic. I don’t think I’ll be there for another half an hour.”

I began crying some more, “Mom. They’re taking Maurice in for surgery!”

“What? For what?”

“I don’t know! They’re not telling me anything!”

“Just hold on. I’m trying to be there as quick as I can. You know how bad traffic is this time of the day,” she said.

I hung up and followed the same hall the nurses went down. When I looked in the window of one particular room, I saw two doctors operating on Maurice’s head and it frightened me. I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to be standing there, but I watched as the nurses moved around the room trying their best to do whatever they could.

In less than ten minutes, Chris came rushing down the hall to meet me.

“Hey,” he saw me crying so he grabbed and hugged me, “What’s happening?”

“He’s getting surgery,” I held onto Chris as we both watched the doctors continue doing what they were doing.

~Twenty minutes Later~

Only a few minutes went by, but it seemed like a lifetime. Chris and I were told to wait in the waiting room, so we did. My mom still wasn’t there, so Chris was the only one with me. I looked up and saw the doctors coming toward us, so we both stood up to hear what he had to say.

“Doctor,” I said, “Is Maurice okay?”

He looked at me and sighed, “I’m sorry Miss Brooks…but Maurice…didn’t make it.”

“What do you mean he didn’t make it?” I knew I was dreaming, “WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!”

“We honestly did all we could but he suffered from too much brain damage. He’s passed,” he explained.

“WHAT THE HELL? YOU’RE LYING! WHERE’S MY BABY!?” Chris was holding me from running back down that hall.

I couldn’t control myself. The doctor continued explaining what happened, but I couldn’t hear anything. It was as if everything around me had just paused. He later left me and Chris alone.

I buried my face in his chest and sobbed. My cries got louder and louder as I wrapped my mind around that fact Maurice was gone. I didn’t know what to do, so I walked to a corner, put my knees up to my chest and continued bawling my eyes out.

He was the only person I loved so much. I wanted to make the best life for him as I could, but now that was all over.

“I’m so sorry Audri,” Chris wrapped his arms around me and cried silently with me.

In the blink of an eye my life had come crashing down on me.