Chapter 3- It's Even Worse

(ALEXIS’ POV)

I got a call from Audri’s mom at around 3 o’clock in the morning that she was in the hospital. She didn’t tell me why, so I just drove as fast as I could there. I ran to the room that Audri was in and saw Audri’s mom and grandmother there along with Lena.

“Ms. Brooks, what happened?” I asked in terror.

I looked at Audri in the hospital bed barely breathing.I was scared for the answer that I was about to hear.

She could barely talk from crying so much, “Audri was in a bad car accident.”

“Is she gonna be alright?” I saw everyone crying, so I knew something was up.

“Yeah, she’ll be fine…but,” Ms. Brooks couldn’t even finish her sentence.

“But what??”

“Maurice…” she cried even more.

“WHAT ABOUT MAURICE? WHERE IS HE?” I didn’t mean to yell, but I was getting scared.

“I can’t…” Ms. Brooks ran out the room and her mom followed her.

“Lena, what happened?” I asked sitting down by her.

She wiped away a tear, “The doctor said that Maurice…Audri didn’t strap him in the car seat right, and…he hit his head when they crashed…really bad.”

“But…he’s gonna be okay…right?” My eyes began filling with tears.

She was quiet for a second, “I’m not sure.”

“What about Audri? What happened with her?”

“She should be okay aside from the bad cuts and scrapes,” Lena said, “She should be waking up any minute. The doctor said that her memory might not be as good when she first wakes up, though since she hit her head really bad.”

I looked at Audri and saw the oxygen mask on her face. She had a lot of things plugged up to her and I felt really bad. Her life was just beginning to get back on track, and now everything was going downhill again.

About thirty minutes passed when I saw Audri move, so Lena and I walked up to her bed…she was waking up.

(LENA’S POV)

Audri opened her eyes and rubbed them. I thought she was going to say something, but she just sat up and stared at the wall blankly. She wasn’t moving and that scared me, so I slowly paced over to her bed and Alexis did too.

She saw me and Alexis walking to her so she turned to us.

“I’m in a hospital…why?” she said with a soft tone.

“Audri,” Alexis said trying her best to tell her everything without crying.

She tried to sit up some more, but I could tell it hurt her to move.

“Why am I here?” she asked us.

“You were hurt badly in-“

She cut Alexis off, “KYLE DID THIS TO ME…DIDN’T HE?”

“What?” I looked at Alexis a little scared.

“WHERE IS HE? IS HE OUT WITH MORGAN AGAIN?” she was freaking out.

“Audri, you’re not making any sense.” Alexis put her hand on her shoulder, “Just calm down.”

“WHY? KYLE IS ALWAYS HURTING ME! HE PUSHED ME DOWN THE STAIRS! I WANT TO BREAK UP WITH HIM...NOW,” she began pulling the needles from her arm and the tubes from her nose.

“AUDRI, STOP!” I yelled.

“KYLE IS GONNA KEEP HURTING ME! I HAVE TO STOP HIM!” She started crying as she snatched the hospital bracelet from her arm and tried to sit all the way up, “I HATE HIM!”

“AUDRI, STOP!” Alexis yelled, “KYLE IS DEAD!”

I looked at Audri frozen on the edge of the bed. She stared at Alexis, stunned at what was just said. It didn’t look like she was breathing, but obviously she was.

“You’re lying…” she started crying.

I was shocked and scared at the same time and just looked at Alexis trying to console her.

“You remember right?” Alexis said rubbing her back.

I couldn’t take seeing her like that. She had no idea what was going on.

“Kyle died?” she cried as she said it.

“I’m sorry, but yeah he did…two years ago.”

Audri laid her head on Alexis’ shoulder and cried as they both sat on the hospital bed.

“Well how did I get here?”

“Do you remember about a nine months after Kyle died, you had a baby?” Alexis tried to calm her down.

She thought for a moment, “It’s all coming back to me.”

“You remember?” I asked her.

She stared deeply into space trying to remember and there was complete silence.

“I was in the car driving home with…” her facial expression changed to a horrified look, “MAURICE! WHERE’S MAURICE?”

“CALM DOWN AUDRI,” Alexis said holding her down as best as she could.

“I NEED TO SEE HIM NOW!” she yelled.

“You can’t,” I said to her knowing she would ask ‘why not’.

I didn’t want to tell her, because she wasn’t even fully thinking straight.

“WHY NOT? HE’S MY SON!” She wouldn’t calm down.

“Just lay back and relax. I know you’re hurting right now, and I don’t want to put more stress on you. Just lay down,” Alexis was easy at calming her down.

“I want to see Maurice. Why can’t I see him?” she asked as if she was about to cry again.

No one would say anything, and as if right on time, Ms. Brooks and Audri’s grandmother came back into the room.

“Audri,” her mom ran to her and hugged her, “I’m so glad you’re alright.”

“Mom…where’s Maurice? Is he okay?” she asked her.

“I don’t know. The doctor didn’t tell me much, but he’s coming now to explain everything.”

I saw the tall white doctor with dark hair walk in. He looked like he was in his forties, and since it was three o’clock in the morning, I could tell he was tired.

“Hello everyone,” he said, “Audri, what are you doing sitting up. You should be lying down.”

I turned to Audri and saw her finally lying back down in the bed.

“Okay,” he said, “This is going to be really hard for me to say.”

My heart stopped when I heard him say that.

“Say what?” Ms. Brooks asked.

“Maurice…isn’t doing too well,” he finally said.

“What do you mean he’s not doing too well?” I could hear the hurt in Ms. Brooks’ voice.

“Well, he suffered from a concussion since Audriana didn’t strap him in the car seat right. Normally, a concussion isn’t as serious, but this time it was,” he said.

“What exactly is a concussion,” Audri said trying to keep herself from crying.

“A concussion is a bruise to your brain. Bruising of a brain is typically due to slowing down your head too fast. When Maurice’s head slammed into the window during the deceleration, it was bruised, and then it swelled which brought blood to the harmed area. This pressure from the swelling on the brain added to the already horrible damage created by the impact,” he took a deep breath, “On top of that, Maurice is still really young and his skull isn’t fully developed so it’s even worse. He’s in a…coma.”