Chapter Fifteen

Your rod and your staff  comfort me

"I'm so sorry" He whispered against her hair as she clung to him. She was falling apart, he could tell. She clung to him, her tears soaking his shirt so much, he began to feel it on his skin.

"I'm losing another one" She sobbed. "I'm losing another one. God is taking another one from me"

Tears ran down his cheeks as well. He didn't have the words to comfort her, he didn't know how. He tightened his hold around her.

"I'm losing her, Andrew. I've lost so much already, why won't he let me have this one, why won't he let me keep her" Her words came out in broken sobs and he had to strain in order to hear her. Her body trembled against him. "I'm so tired! Aby told me to fight, how am I supposed to fight like this, I'm tired!" She wailed.

"You are going to get through this" He managed. "First, you need to go home and rest"

"No"

"Yes" He pulled her away and held her at arms length. "I need you to rest, Tia needs you to rest and your body needs you to rest" He said sternly, not giving her room to argue.

After saying goodnight to Tia, he drove Sisi home. She sat quietly in the car, her eyes having a distant look in them. By the time they got to her home, she was asleep, probably exhausted. He parked the car and climbed out. He walked to the passenger's side of the car and pulled the door open. Picking her up in his arms, her head came to rest on his shoulders. He walked up the front stairs, pulled the keys out of her jean pocket and pushed the door open. He took her up the stairs and into her bedroom and laid her down. He then turned to walk away but she gripped his hand.

"Don't go" She whispered, her voice sounding weak.

He smiled at her. "I can't stay, Sisi, it's inappropriate" Her eyes filled with tears. "But, I'll go to Jean's home and ask her to pass the night here with you. How does that sound?" She nodded her head. "Good" He planted a kiss on her head. "Goodnight, beautiful" Her eyes closed as he walked out of the room and down the stairs.

He crossed the streets to Jean's home and pressed the door bell. No response. He pressed it again. After the forth ring, the door flew open.

"Andrew? " Ben stood with his green pajamas and sleepy eyes.

" What's the matter? " Jean stood behind Ben.

" It's been a long night, and I was wondering if Jean could spend the night with Sisi, she has had a very tough time" He explained.

"Oh my goodness! Is she okay? " Jean pressed forward, her eyes focusing on him. He shook his head and she reached for her coat." Let's go then" She turned to Ben and kissed him goodnight. Turning to face Andrew, she made her way out the door and to Sisi's house.

****

Jean watched Sisi sleep, her face bearing so much sadness and fear. Once in a while, her hands flared, as if to push something or someone away. After a few minutes, her kicking and pushing became intensive. She moaned and wailed, her face contorting. Understanding that she was having a nightmare, she leaned close.

"Sisi, you are fine" She whispered. "God has not left you"

She sat confused. Father, what should I do, how do i comfort your sheep that is wounded? She didn't know exactly what the problem was but she knew she had to be here, to comfort Sisi.