Chapter Seven

Whatever we receive with Thanksgiving is sanctified

Tia set the table and served the evening meal. Andrew sat beside Sisi to her right hand side and Tia sat to her left. The whole time, Sisi could not wait for the dinner to be over and for Andrew to go home. 

Sisi reached for her fork.

"Shall we say grace? " Andrew said. Then without waiting for her response, he began." Father, we bless you for this meal you have given to us. We receive it in Thanksgiving. Amen"

“Amen! So, Mr Andrew, are you married?” Tia asked, her eyes lighting up like a christmas tree. Sisi ignored her and focused on her meal, determined not to be pulled into their discussion.

“Nope” Andrew stated simple.

“Good” Tia's gaze rested on Sisi. “I am pleasantly surprised because Aunty too...”

“Tia!” Sisi said, interrupting her. If she didn't stop the girl, she would go ahead to say something really embarrassing. “How is school going?”

Tia frowned at the change in conversation but decided to go with the flow. “Well enough. I'm enjoying my classes and the teachers. I have a few new friends” She said and Sisi smiled, happy to hear that.

“That is wonderful. Why didn't you tell me?”

Tia shrugged and glanced at Andrew. “I love your eyes” She smiled.

“I get that a lot around here, Tia but thank you. You are a beautiful young lady yourself. I'm sure you get complimented a lot”

“Thank you” Tia's gaze fell and she focused her attention on the meal before her. Sisi watched her, confused at her countenance. Andrew was right, Tia was beautiful. Her dark skin glowed, she had a slim structure but still managed to have the natural African curves in the right places, her nose was straight, she had beautiful pink lips that added a nice contrast to her black skin. She was gorgeous.

After a few minutes, Tia rose up, dish in hand. Dropping it on the sink, she said goodnight and went up to her room. Sisi didn't know what to make of her sudden change in mood.

They ate the remaining part of their meal in silence. When they were done eating, Andrew offered to help her do the dishes. She rejected his offer but he insisted.

Standing by the sink, she washed and he wiped, making things easy and fast.

“That was a lovely dinner, Tia is a great cook” He complimented.

“I'm even better” She smiled, remembering who taught her to cook; her precious Remi.

“Really?”

She glanced at him, ashamed she had said that out loud.

“Ignore that, I didn't mean for you to hear it”

“Dinner was lovely, thank you for accommodating me” He said and she frowned, knowing he knew that she didn't want him to stay in the first place.

“I'm sorry for being mean” She apologized . “I'm just trying to... May be I'm trying not to make new friends”

“Is there a reason for that?” He wiped his hands on a dish towel.

“I've lost too many already” She rinsed her hands and wiped them on the towel he had just used. Turning to face him, she saw him looking at her in compassion, perhaps even pity. She turned away.

“I'm sorry” He said. “But you shouldn't close your heart to new things or new people. It doesn't mean the new is replacing the old, it just means the new is creating memories of it's own”

She fought against the urge to cry. She didn't want anything new because she had not gotten over the old. She had not gotten over the loss of Aby and Jummy or the loss of Remi and Jesse. Creating new memories will be too painful and difficult.

“Thank you” She faced him.

“Goodnight, Sisi”