Chapter 24- After Time (the end)

A few days later, we had career consultations. I stared at the blank sheet and then glanced at Karma. He was teasing Nagisa about his gender again. Since that day, we were a bit distant. Karma hasn't paid much attention to me and I never accosted him about it. At this rate, we'll grow further apart.

After school, I finally approached Karma.

"Hey," I greeted hesitantly.

"Yo," he said with a small smile. We were both hid our tension by pretending to appear unfazed.

"There's something I want to talk.... So, can we walk home together?" I asked. My fingers fidgeted amongst themselves as discreetly as possible. I can't get rid of this feeling that he'll say no. If that happens, then what reason do I have to talk to him again?

"Sure."

That nonchalant answer of his surprised me greatly.

As we walked towards my house, neither of us said anything. The awkward atmosphere suffocated me with anxiety. Because of this, I couldn't bring myself to even glance at Karma. Then I got pissed off. I suddenly realized that I'm acting like some dumb shoujo heroine walking home with a boy she likes. I scoffed at that thought and gained confidence from my irritation.

"Karma," I called out strongly. But, right when I met eyes with him, my mind went blank. "Wh-What did you... Uh..."

What was I gonna say?!

Karma stared at me with an innocent, curious expression.

"Katsumi?" Karma said slowly, unsure of my pause. Then with a more relaxed posture, "What did you want to say?"

"... T-The career thing today... What did you write?" I asked with a smile. On the inside, I wished I didn't mumble as much.

"Ah that," Karma smiled. "A bureaucrat."

"Really?" It didn't really seem to suit him. I asked, "Why?"

"You remember how politicians were useless during the last earthquake?"

"Yeah," I agreed.

"But the country kept functioning well. Being able to pull strings in the shadows must be pretty great... So that's what I want to be," he explained. The smile on his face was very relaxed and self-assured. It was a kind that made me smile along with him.

"Suits you," I said, reconsidering my earlier thought. Somehow, it seemed like there's still a lot about Karma that I don't know about.

Then, Karma stopped walking and asked, "What about you?"

I looked at him vacantly.

"I left mine undecided," I confessed.

"I see." He then turned and said, "See ya."

I watched him leave and then went my own way. The image of Karma's back gradually disappearing wouldn't leave my head.

What am I supposed to? I don't have anything that I want to do for the rest of my life. Besides... I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be anything political.

My sigh was suddenly cut off by a swoosh of a large octopus disguised as a human.

"What is it?" I asked, annoyed and flustered. "Koro-sensei?"

"Hello, Katsumi-san." he greeted. "Was Karma walking you home?"

"Why are you asking as if you just passed us coincidently and saw us together? Weren't you spying on us since we left school?"

Koro-sensei broke out in cold sweat and started freaking out.

"No, no, no, no, no! I was just about to fly to Indonesia when I saw you two."