Epilogue

Listen to the lovely song on the right: Dear No One by Tori Kelly

“Life has no rewinds so learn to play it right.”

Epilogue

The thing about being a best friend, there is this one major rule that can’t be broken.

You can’t be selfish.

Best friends equally look out for each other, even if it means sacrificing time and bottling up emotions. Best friends share their realities and fantasies, secrets and thoughts, life changing events as well as the little things, both happy and unhappy.

There will be times when you may not fully understand each other, when you will have to keep things to yourself. Despite that, a real best friend must remain steadfast and strong, ready to be a rock, a crying shoulder, or even an avenging spirit if you have to.

That’s why when best friends fight, it causes pain.

When the friendship fails, it is pure torture.

Your trust is broken.

You feel incomplete, because something precious from you is taken away, like a part of you is being hacked off, brutally, mercilessly.

You will always second guess yourself where you went wrong, why things ended up the way they do. You will ask yourself where all the golden moments you spent together went.

. . . and you will be left with a hole in your heart.

Empty.

And damn if it didn’t fuckin hurt.

It’s been roughly five years since I left USA, and I’ll be lying if I say that I didn’t miss home. For three years, I have buried myself with music and studies, barely leaving my room or school for any form of entertainment. I should have returned the moment I graduated, but no matter how much I convince myself, I cannot abandon the bitterness and sadness that consumes me every time I remember.

Betrayal. Loss. Heartache.

The Carla Villanueva of my past is broken and bitter. Maybe my present self still is.

There is no reason for me to return, no future waiting for me there. I try so hard not to, but it is virtually impossible to make myself believe otherwise.

Performing all over Europe in an attempt to fill in the emptiness inside my chest, I have spent the last two years traveling as a concert pianist and violinist. London, Prague, Venice, Copenhagen, Paris, Madrid, there are many sights to see and lots of interesting people to meet.

Time has not completely healed me, but the pain has become bearable.

I am moving forward.

Despite everything, I am thankful for the memories. Years may have passed, but the wounds in my heart are still fresh and raw. They have taught me to become stronger, to believe in myself in ways that only I can comprehend.

Instead of succumbing to the darkness, I used them the only way I can.

I turned them into inspiration.

Into sad, heart-wrenching music, one that moved my listeners to tears.

I am content with my current lifestyle. It is easy and peaceful, albeit a little dull. For me, that is fine. I may not have completely given up on living, but I have come to fear people, preferring solitude over the risk of making too deep a connection.

Call me stubborn, call me a coward, but I do not want to be disappointed again. Why care? As long as I have my violin, I am perfectly happy.

I just have to make myself believe.

The two most significant men in my life have both moved on and put the past behind them.  For my sake as well, I eventually forgive Warren. I also chase and apologize to Johannes. Forgive and forget. It is for everyone’s best interest.

Warren soon finds himself married to a pretty corporate lawyer after knocking her up for real. Johannes settles down as well with some girl he met in Argentina, one who genuinely loves him past his name and wealth.

I’ve been invited to both their weddings.

I played the bridal march.

Maybe someday, I can find my own happiness too. Someday, I’ll meet a man who I will love and love me back, who’ll accept me the way I am, flaws and all.

But for now, I’ll simply wait.

Wait for my own happily ever after.

When that time comes, we’ll walk hand in hand, and I promise myself to not let go.

Once you have a dream, you must hold on tightly . . . because someday, if you hold tightly enough, it will surely happen.

Dreams do come true, after all.

THE END

Author’s Note :

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for staying with Carla till the very end!

I hoped that you liked this story even though I did not give it a fairy tale ending. I prefer to end it with a more realistic note, because we know that real life works that way. We do not always get what we want. Sometimes, we experience heaven only to realize that once it ended, we hurt like hell.

Sorry for the romantics out there. I’ll love to make Carla end up with Johannes, believe me, I wrote that as an alternative epilogue, but I feel that it will do more justice if I stick with what I feel is right.

After all, I wrote this story for the sake of giving inspiration that in our harsh reality called life, even if we get disappointed again and again, we can always hope that better things will come. We just have to wait . . . and BELIEVE.

Shameless Plug (of my own story. hahah)

If you have time to spare, kindly check out my baby, my most beloved story Series : The Black Equation. I bet you'll love Faye, the main character, as well as the Gang (Jared, Hanade and Ivan). First story is the FORGOTTEN ONES, followed by the DECEIVED ONES, and lastly, the GIFTED ONES.