TMNT: We don't play the game. 3

Chapter 3: "Rather be alive"

My next destination for the evening wasn't my small downtown apartment, in fact; it was somewhere which was, on the whole, a lot more inviting, my home away from home was 'Club Weed' and while people did actually go there to take drugs, the name actually refers to a plant growing where undesired.

People gathered at Club Weed each night for dancing, drugs and the pure underworld feel of the inside, it's atmosphere was dark and cruel, a thick fog of smoke lingered constantly just beneath the ceiling, men and women dressed in black huddled together in corners seated at tables covered in used cigarette buds and empty glasses, a stage sat at the back of the room, strewn with musical equipment, speakers hung at each corner and wires leading down off stage to a sound system which sat next to the stage, it was surrounded by empty or half full bottles of beer, some of them kicked over leaving a sticky residue on the floor, a man with a thick beard sat on a barstool behind the system with his arms folded and a beanie cap pulled over his eyes, while smoking a cigarette which added to the smog gathering over everybody.

All walls were painted with a solid black paint, the chairs and table were black, waiters and waitresses took beers to tables sluggishly while dressed in their black uniforms, and inevitably everyone who walked through the door would be dressed in black, including myself, as I made my way through the door few people turned their heads, but those who did nodded their head in a welcoming fashion, I shot them back a subtle smile, it was unusual to wear a beaming grin on your face in a place like this, but whenever somebody did smile, it was as simple as a curl at the corner of the mouth.

I made my way through the bodies of black leather, large men grunted in frustration as they had to compromise their position to make way for the tiny girl pushing through them, I didn't bother turning back to make an apologetic remark, no one ever bothered with that in Weed, everyone just got along no questions asked, we weren't friends, we just didn't argue.

At the side of the stage stood a door, also painted black in an attempt to camouflage it against the wall, this was backstage, as I pushed the door open I was greeted by the first sign of light in the whole building, the white light was almost blinding as I stepped into it, I raised my hand over my eyes, squinting to focus my vision, as I shuffled forwards I heard a light chuckle come from beside me, I turned to see a red headed girl stood beside me.

"Hi Ebony."

"Hey, 'sup Addy?"

"Nothin' but the ceilin' baby!" We pounded each other's fists and she giggled with excitement, Ebony was the only cheery face in this place, everyone else's lack happiness was excused as long as she was around, she seemed to embody happiness, the way she spoke, dressed and even moved, she stepped with a light skip and her voice reminded us all of our favourite song, which makes anyone happy.

Tonight she wore her flame red hair in pigtails, high up on her head each tied with a hot pink ribbon, her neck was adorned with numerous chains from which hung pendants in the shape of cats, ice creams, smiley faces, her t-shirt was a deep red and on it, written in an almost illegible scribe was; 'Rather be alive.' Which was so, so true.