Chapter 1 - Here's summer!

Chapter 1 – Here’s summer!

I screamed for her not to, but of course she did anyway, slamming into me; knocking us to the ground. Yup, just another day.

Okay, maybe I should explain a bit, my names Jane Shortell, I'm 18 and currently sporting some new bruises from the crazy kids I call my best friends. We're currently enjoying the last summer we have before starting college; no it’s not our last summer together or anything, we found our way to each other once and we'll do it again.

Summer just started, like five minutes ago, when we finished graduating, and both my friends took a running start at me, causing none other than a dog pile, in the middle of everything. Well my ultimate best friend started it, then Logan and a few others joined on top of us; I met her at the start of middle school, and we just clicked since. Her name's Amanda Manner, but we call her Mani for short, since she can give you Mani headaches at once; don't get me wrong, she's great and all, but man she can talk for hours. She's slightly taller than me, being at about 5"3, while i'm 5"2, she has blond hair that reaches to the bottom of her shoulder blades, mine is the same length, but dark brown. We both have a streak of colour in our hair, mine being red, and hers being blue, to match her eyes. Mine matches my personallity since my brothers believe im made of pure evil, just because im smarter than all of them put together.

I took my cap and gown off, grabbing my hat and bag, before making a run for it; slipping by my friends, who were busy with parents and teachers. I grabbed my skateboard from outside and took off down the long driveway. Your probably wondering how I can skateboard in a dress in heel's, but in case you didn't realize, I don't like wearing dresses/skirts, nor heel's, so I'm currently sporting denim shorts, white tank top, paired with my purple converse.

I got half way down the driveway before I heard the screams of my best friends, who love dressing up, were sporting either a dress and heels or suits, ha-ha suckers. I picked up speed as the driveway curved and sloped downhill, I saw Amanda huff and slow to a stop; normally she never gives up, and of course she wasn't stopping now, she only stopped long enough to take her heels off, shoving them at Derek, who fell over from the impact, then she tore after me, picking up speed like lightening, uh - oh.

I jumped over the railing, and down to the next level, I road fast and crossed the street right before the light changed to go, making them wait for the light. I road home, knowing they would just come to my house anyway, like they always do.

When I reached my house, I hopped off my board, picking it up, and running across the lawn. I unlocked the door, and walked in, then set my board on the floor and pushed it, so when my brothers jumped from the staircase aiming to tackle me, they stepped on the board and fell on each other. I fell on the floor laughing, they growled but that just made me laugh harder.

I have six older brothers, the oldest is Mason 28 (he’s the Doctor of the family, thank goodness for that, because when my friends and I hang out, we tend to get a lot of injuries), then there’s David who's 26, Kyle who's 24, Jackson who's 22, Chase who's 20, and last but not least, theirs Seth who's 19. Most people would think that Seth and I would get along the best, because were close to the same age, but I actually get a long the best with Mason, I don't know if it’s due to him always helping us when we hurt each other, since we were little, or because he's the oldest, therefore wisest, but we were just always so close, all my life.

Jackson walked towards me with an evil smile, oh yea, he's the 'prankster' of the family, and loves to pick on me, but he taught me everything he knows, thinking I’d grow up to be just like him, fat chance. I looked at my phone, like I didn't notice him, so when he went to pick me up I hit him in the stomach and took off. Unfortunately my brother's usually team up on me, so they all came at me, but come on I'm 18! I grew up with all these cavemen, and all the running my friends and me do, keeps me well fit, so when they all went to pounce on me, I ducked, and crawled out from under them, leaving them in a pile, ha-ha idiots.

I wandered upstairs to pick out a bathing suit, the weather was beautiful consideriding all the rain we got for the last week or so. I scrolled through the shelf of bathing suits i have in my walk in closet, until i finally decided on the purple one with rinesone beading around the edge. I walked into the bathroom and changed then went to my balcony, and jumped into the pool, yes my balcony is facing the pool, score! Coming up for air, i noticed a figure standing by the pool, once my eyes adjusted to the sun, i saw it was Amanda.

"Yo, Mani, you going to come in, or stand there like a chicken bone"

"No that’s okay, you can enjoy the beautiful pool all on your own, but I suggest not going in the hot tub, or you will definitely look like a prune" she replied with a smirk, what does she mean prune? I look nothing like a...

"You put purple dye in the water?!?" I screamed, and she laughed evilly

"Why of course, you didn't think you could get away with ditching me back there with Logan, would you?"

"Oh please, he's not that bad"

"He dumped punch on me!" she yelled

"Fair enough, so if you’re done getting revenge on me, I know how to get him back" I said with a mischievous tone to my voice

"Right behind you" she replied in the same tone

Messing with us? Biggest mistake he ever made.