Darkness

"Maa, I'm okay. My phone was unreachable because its battery got exhausted and I was too busy to put it for charging. And I did take my lunch properly, had Paranthas with Matar paneer. Stop worrying for me Maa!I've grown up now and I remember all that you've been telling me since childhood. I'm your brave daughter, ain't I? So now stop worrying and do cook something delicious for dinner. I'm hungry already." ,I texted her.

I know it wouldn't console her and was prepared for the scolding that I would be receiveing as soon as I reach home. Nevertheless, it sure did lessen her worry a bit.

I checked the time by my watch .It was 7:45 pm. That day, I was already late but it least bothered me because it was the day when I had completed my first month at the Arya Group of Companies.

"Great going, Ruhi. You've almost completed before time every work that has been assigned to you ", he said.

He was the manager of the firm, Mr. Sharma,an amiable and polite personality. He had been serving the firm from the last 8 years and is credited with much of the profits and progress that the company garnered.

"Thank you so much, Sir. This job was my dream and now that I've realised it, I'll try my best to discharge my duties to your utmost satisfaction."

He smiled in the most genuine way  showing that he was convinced and left. I had one more assignment left but  already being late, I left it for the next day. I shut the computer down and arranged my files as I left the office in a hurry.

Like the usual days, I was supposed to hire an auto rickshaw to reach home. But what was unusual about that day was the time at which I left the firm. It was 8:30 pm already. Generally, I never faltered being a girl and never experienced any wrong vibes among the people whom I encountered everyday around me.

But on that particular day, I don't know why, the alleys of the city began to scare me, it seemed treacherous, premonition of some ominous happening. The night, already being dark seemed darker. The aura was uneasy and the heavy silence seemed to get creepier as time passed by, depicting a grave danger.