Therapy

• Αφιερωμένο στον/ην Trippy Hippy

November,26,2005

"You can come in Gabriel!" Dr.Sprouse said, responding to the timid knock on this door. Gabriel swung the door open and walked in, his face expressionless. Dr.Sprouse wanted Gabriel to feel welcomed by him, not afraid.

Dr.Sprouse's was a large white box shaped room. One wall was completely paneled with windows, bringing in radiant afternoon sunlight. Dr.Sprouse sat at his mahogany desk, staring at Gabriel in the doorway.

"Why don't you come in and sit here?" Dr.Sprouse suggested, gesturing to the cushioned brown chair in front of his desk. Gabriel walked briskly to the chair and sat, he looked scared.

"Are you okay?" Dr.Sprouse asked.

"Yes I am Dr.Sprouse" Gabriel answered formally, he was staring down at his feet.

"How was your day today?" he asked.

"Okay" Gabriel's voice seemed to fill the room with emptiness. Dr.Sprouse could tell that this boy gave off a certain depression that seemed to suck the life out of the room.

"Have you made any new friends?" Dr.Sprouse asked. Gabriel lifted his head ever so slightly. Enough to be able to look through his black wavy fringe and stare Dr.Sprouse directly in this eye.

"I don't have friends. Everyone is afraid of me. Maybe because you people keep me locked inside while everyone gets to become friends and enjoy themselves." Gabriel said dryly. Dr.Sprouse was dumbfounded for words. He couldn't counter act Gabriel's verbal attack. The boy was a bit more grown up than he has originally thought..

"Gabriel, how old are you?" Dr.Sprouse asked curiously.

"You should know, everything is on record. If you want to know anything, it's on record. And I know you have it! All of it!" He was beginning to sound agitated. Dr.Sprouse folded his hands on his desk. He was confused by Gabriel's mind.

"I want to hear your answers. The records don't matter to me." Dr.Sprouse replied calmly.

"I'm fifteen."

"Well then! Your quite enough of age to be called a man!" Dr.Sprouse boasted. Gabriel was 12 years younger than him. He was old enough to be his little brother.

There was a silence. Gabriel locked his hard gaze on Dr.Sprouse, making his attempt at a happy atmosphere crash and burn. Gabriel straightened himself up in his chair and crossed his thin legs before speaking.

"My dad used to call me his retarded kid. Are you trying to say that you're smarter than my father?" Gabriel said in a calm voice. His entire personality had become more mature than the 5 year old attitude he put on. Dr.Sprouse cleared his throat.

"Well no, but-" He started, Gabriel interrupted him.

"How come Doctor? My dad couldn't possibly be smarter than you. You're a doctor. Wouldn't that mean that he was right for calling me a retarded kid? And if he's smarter than you doesn't that make you a liar?" Gabriel said, subtle sarcasm leaking through his words. Dr.Sprouse began to get nervous. His throat became terribly dry.

"I'm not a liar" Dr.Sprouse remarked. Gabriel Smirked slyly.

"Really? Seems like it Richard" Gabriel said with mock shame. Dr.Sprouse felt Humliated. Gabriel got out of his chair and calmly walked out of the door.

Dr.Sprouse realized that he shall not doubt this child any longer....