Phase One Status: Successful

Jeremiah POV

            So, River and I spoke for three hours about the plan. I’m on my way to pick up Breena. This is the last time she will be signed out. She knows of the plan I called this morning. I didn’t give any details at all. We don’t need Boss finding out. I will get fired. Josh will get fired, and the girls will have another two years added to their contract, at least. So all in all, if even a single thing goes wrong then it will be really bad. I arrive at the club and walk up to the back door, where you go to check out the girls. Oscar, the dick in charge of ‘distribution’, gives me a questioning look. “I thought you only participated with these whores when instructed, not at your own leisure,” he said snickering. I wanted to punch him, but instead I calmly responded, “And I thought you would have the courtesy to let another man have his dues without being question.” I’m like a totally different guy when I talk to my coworkers and Boss. It’s strange and I don’t like it at all. I’m glad we are getting away from this place soon. Oscar glared at me then his face relaxed. “Happy to see that you are starting to see it our way,” he mumbled richly. I push past him.

            When I walk in, I see Breena arguing with Isis.  Of fucking course! Isis is going to ruin everything like fucking always. I slightly jog over them. “Hey! Hey! Hey! What is going on here?” They both instantly stop talking. I don’t know if they are shocked to see me coming in that door or if they just don’t want me to hear what they were yelling about. Finally, Isis speaks, “Your GIRLFRIEND has been sleeping around. Hope you don’t mind.” She smirks. I keep my cool, surprisingly enough. “First, she is not my girlfriend. Also, she has a job to do and I expect her to stick to it.” Breena looks like she saw a ghost, but Isis is paying no attention to her and all of her attention at the tone of the words I just uttered. She responds, not being able to read me like she used to, “You are a dipshit, you know that? Lucky for you, I don’t care. I have a date with Boss AGAIN tonight. I need to go prep myself.” I roll my eyes as she struts away. I love her, but she is an ignorant little asshole. I notice that Breena, still staring at me, has not spoken. I lower my voice, “What’s wrong? I’m here to get you like I said…….Breena?” She blinks like she is trying to clear her thoughts. “Nothing. Let’s get out of this hellhole,” she says, her voice hard. I’m taken aback a bit, but choose to look past it. It’s probably nothing. I’m sure. Isis’ yelling probably just got to her. She’ll be fine. I mouth the word ‘Sorry’ before aggressively grabbing her wrist. “Oscar! I want her.” He chuckles snidely while writing down her name and time ‘checked out’. As we walk past, Oscar says, “You better be the best Newbie,” then smacked Breena’s ass.

            Once we got in the car and got out of the parking lot, Breena turns and looks at me angrily. “What?” I say whilst still looking at the road. “Isis said I’m not the first. What the FUCK does that mean?” she says harshly. I pull off into an orchard and stop. I look at her both sympathetically and questioning until I realize what Isis was talking about. “It’s not what you think. I swear. Isis is just trying to get in your head. I have never tried or cared enough to bust out even one person. There was another girl that I dated from the club however. I dated her before she got admitted into the club and the entire time she was at the club. Isis blames me for what happened to her because she was Isis’ best friend.” “Well who was she? What do you mean what happened? I don’t understand! What did YOU DO? I don’t know if I should trust you anymore Jeremiah. I want to I really do, but Isis said-“ Breena exclaims until I interrupt. “Fuck what Isis says. Listen to me. You know me Breena. You just need to stay calm and listen to what happened from someone who was actually there. Can you please do that?”

She seems to have calmed down so she nods. “Thank you. So her name was Jacqueline. She was sixteen and I was eighteen. I had gotten pretty close to her family. They knew about what my parents had done to my sisters. She despised Josh for working there and letting our sisters just sit there and rot. So one day she went to visit the girls while I was at work. From my understanding it was a good visit until she went to leave. Josh stepped in front of the door and wouldn’t let her leave. He told her that she had to check out someone or BE checked out to leave through that door or any door really. So she went and got all three of the girls and came back to the door. Josh wouldn’t let her because he knew she wanted them out. She got really angry and in his face about it so he personally escorted all the girls except Sky to their room. So Jacqueline checked out Sky and went to the car with her. While she was texting me, I guess Oscar, who at the time was only 20 and had just started working at the club, went up to her car and told her that she couldn’t leave without being checked out. She said something about a woman being allowed to check out another. She moved to start the car and leave but Oscar grabbed her arm. So she punched him in the face with her free arm and started the car. I suppose someone saw the fiasco and ran to tell Boss because next thing she knew she was surrounded by black vans. As you know the club is run by the Mob. I don’t know all the details but her car was pretty scrunched up and I found her with six bullet holes in her torso. To this day, we hope Sky doesn’t remember and as far as we know she doesn’t but I really loved Jacqueline. Well, I still do, but you just have to move on you know? So I’m going to take you to River’s and you will be safe there because I don’t want the same thing to happen to you as it did to Jacqueline.” We sit there in silence for a moment before I realize Breena is crying.

“I’m so sorry Jeremiah. I should’ve been more sensitive. Thank you for caring so much. No one in my entire life has ever given a shit about me,” she says still crying. As I start the truck back up, I’m suddenly engulfed in her arms. She whispers, “Thank you so much….” I hold her for a few minutes then we are back on the road.

We finally get to River’s. I get out and help Breena out and to the door. She quickly cleans up her messy eyes as though she is ashamed to have been crying. Jasper answers the door and embraces us in a group hug. “Uh, dude. Let go. I don’t know you like that,” I say monotone. He chuckles, “Come on in.” Breena goes first then Jasper and I follow. The moment Atlanta lays eyes on me she brings to life and tackles me. “Hey sis, miss me much?” She laughs then gets up. I grab River. “Jasper, the girls stay here. We will be back soon. Take care of them or I WILL hurt you.” River and I get in his car and head to the bar. Phase one complete.