Chapter Nine

Monday, 10th October, 2011

Andie all but had a shit-fit when I told her this morning what happened with Gary yesterday.

                I swung by the Andersons' first to pick up Teegan and Dexter – who had only returned home yesterday evening after his sister had assured him that the "evil shrew" as she and Andie were now calling Olivia had been safely deposited at the train station – and then went on to pick up Andie for school.

                Of course Dexter had to leave it til Andie got in the car to go, 'Oh, hey, man, I totally forgot, did you talk to Gary at all after yesterday?'

                And I nearly banged my head off the steering wheel in frustration when Andie's little ears twitched and she enquired, 'Why, what happened yesterday?'

                So of course I had to tell her, because Dex was right there and would have known if I was lying, and Andie all but hit the roof.

                'That little turd-nugget!' she screamed, her face red with fury and her voice strangled. 'I'll kill him. I can't believe he said that to you! I can't believe he called you a slut! That paranoid, useless, waste-of-space, ungrateful bastard! He doesn't know how lucky he is to have you, Alex, but I swear to god I'll make him understand.' She glowered darkly, staring straight ahead at the road as she contemplated the violence she was planning to unleash on Gary.

                'Alex you didn't even tell her the best bit,' Dexter complained from behind me, and I glanced in the rear-view to see him looking impatient and Teegan looking bemused. 'Tell her what you said at the very end! Go on.'

                So of course I had to relay about Gary telling me to sleep with Dexter and about me informing him that I would. I wasn't sure how Andie would react to this, given that she's in love with him too, but luckily she started laughing.

                'You didn't?!' she demanded.

                'I did.'

                'Oh Alex. I knew you had a pair of testicles in there somewhere,' she fondly, while I burned red with mortification.

                When we got to school Dex, Teegan, and I all tumbled out of the car with the same reluctance we exhibited every Monday, but Andie was rearing to go. Despite my admitting that I'd already given Gary a tongue-lashing (and not the good kind) she still seemed intent on beating the snot out of him (and believe me, she totally could. Gary's pretty tall, but he's reed-thin and she'd snap him like a pretzel).

                'Are you really going to beat him up?' Dexter asked interestedly as we walked towards the entrance.

                'Yes. Nobody hurts Alex and gets away with it.'

                'Hmm,' Dexter scratched his chin. 'I feel similarly. Would you be completely opposed to the idea of an accomplice?'

                Andie turned to look at him with surprise, as, I may as well mention, did I.

                'I think you defended me enough last night,' I muttered, trying to defuse the situation. Andie by herself I could handle; if they teamed up, not so much.

                'Can I come too?' Teegan interjected. 'I probably won't fight him but I would like to watch.'

                I glanced from one to the other like they were mad, then shook my head and walked away. I know they only had my best interests at heart, but I couldn't handle so much violence so early in the morning.