Chapter Five: King

"She's stable, but it'll take a while before she wakes up. She sustained multiple injuries to her face and abdominal area, so she'll need some time to fully heal."

    The words bounced around in your brain, yet you couldn't grasp their meaning.

    "D-do you know what happened, doctor?"

    Doctor was the only word you managed to grasp.

    The doctor, you assumed, spoke again, "No, I'm afraid we don't. She was dropped off by two young gentlemen who left her here in our care. They took their leave soon after, not before making sure she'd be safe. They offered to help pay for her care and gave us $3,000 toward the bills, too."

    A serene, familiar voice responded, "Could they have been the ones that hurt Y/N?"

    The faint beeping of a machine echoed in your ears, matching the beat of your heart. Y/N? A doctor? Possibly a heart monitor? What happened to you?!

    "No, if they'd been the ones to do it, they wouldn't have brought your daughter in in the first place. The type of people who abuse others like they did Ms. L/N, don't like any government attention."

    "Well, I'm just glad she's alive. That jaw injury still worries me, though," another familiar voice said.

    The memories of your kidnapping began to flood back into your brain, causing your heart rate to skyrocket and what you assumed was the heart monitor to beep like crazy. Your eyes bolted open, your body shaking and convulsing off the hospital bed, your breathing shallow while your pupils dilated to an extreme.

    "Y/N!"

    The next thing you knew, a female doctor came rushing over to your side, pinning your arms down against the thin mattress. A few nurses rushed in to help her.

     "She's going into shock!"

    You didn't hear anything after, for you felt a small pinprick on your arm, then everything turned black*.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    When you regained consciousness, you noticed no one in the room, only a bouquet of fresh yellow roses sitting on a side table. Your brain didn't quite comprehend your surroundings yet, so when you tried to wiggle around, you were met with resistance. Your arms covered in tubes connected to various machines or bags, straps binding you down, reminded you of your exact location again.

    A dull, agonizing pain began to radiate from your abdominal area and your jaw, reminding you of your hellish ordeal. You looked down into your gown to see your stomach's condition, noticing a long, thin scar starting from the end of your abdominal cavity to ending about an inch past your belly button. You tried to move your mandible all the way down, but it stayed in place, the movement only succeeding in aggravating the area even more.

    Not capable of doing much else, your mind drifted to the last things you heard before being rescued by HOMRA in the nick of time. Trying to not think about the fact you had almost died, you forced yourself to focus on the other details of the encounter.

    You heard the word "Strain" before, having lived in Shizume City for three years now, strangers on sidewalks whispering it to each other as they walked along the crowded streets. You knew they were special, different, from the research you did. How they differed, you never found out. The information was there (you had a gut feeling), though it somehow wasn't accessible, like someone didn't want you to know what a Strain could do. You left it at that at the time, convincing yourself you didn't need to know.