Chapter 17

He answered all of the questions correctly

He smiled at the right moments.

He sat just like him.

He was an imposter.

I just didn't have a way to prove it yet. Eric was kept under surveillance around the clock. I spent more time in our new headquarters than in Blaire's apartment. I couldn't help but rewatch all of his interview videos time and time again.

It just didn't make any sense but at the same time I couldn't prove otherwise. If only we had a way to find out where Akio and Eric were on their mission then we could at least begin to form a trail. However, hoping Eric would tell us was not even a considerable option at this point.

"Charlee, there's nothing else we can do right now. You need to go home," Palma said breaking into my thoughts as she stepped into the computer room where I had isolated myself.

"It's been nearly a month. We can't go on like this, acting like the Eric in there is the same one that we used to know. He's gone Palma, and I don't know what to do anymore," I shook my head wanting to break down again but I was tired of that too.

"Charlee, we're going to figure this out. We're barely getting the technology we need to do further testing," she reminded me. It was true, for the first few weeks all we had to work with was the empty shell of a warehouse.

Little by little we've been able to install our old tech equipment like the cameras, ID scanners, a weapons room, and other things that we had been cut off from when the CIA stopped our missions.

"But what if it can't be fixed? What if this is Eric now and forever?"

"We're not there yet. Right now you need to go home and sleep. Bet you haven't done that in a while?" she offered me a grin.

"Maybe," I replied, not able to give her one back.

.

.

.

.

.

If Palma and Tiffany thought I was just going to go home and read a magazine or something then they truly did not know me as well as they should have.

I had copied at least seven of the interviews conducted on Eric onto my flash drive so I could rewatch them at home. By home I mean the guest room I'm living in at Blaire and Jacob's place. Our houses couldn't be more different.

While mine was a rustic style apartment, Jacob and Blaire lived in a modern apartment with steel and glass corners everywhere. I was scared of impaling myself on the table or something. The freaking stairs themselves were a hazard but I had to admit it was all very pristine and well put together.