My Romance in Room 324

Isn't going to the mall by yourself one of the most pathetic things you can do on a Saturday when you have no intention of buying anything? Either that, or some subconscious intention of meeting someone worthy of checking out, am I right?

Originally I hadn't intended to go after Audrey cancelled on me, but I couldn't tell my mother otherwise after she had kindly told me, "Hey Jackson, you're going to the mall, eh? Here let me give you some money, pick up a CD or something for your cousin Steven's birthday; you can have the rest. Come back when you feel like being fed."

Both Gordon and Kelli said they couldn't make it when I called. So I went to the store and picked out a random CD that would probably fit the interests of a fourteen year old boy, nothing in mind for after. As I was walking out I bumped into someone who was waiting by the bathroom, a few feet from where I should have been walking. It was just an off day.

"Hi there," He said, a light smile flashing across his face. It complimented him, and much better than the glare I had expected.

"Sorry about that," I smiled back. "Hi."

"Totally fine, you here by yourself?" He looked behind me with his eyebrows furrowed. I liked his hair, it was light but not exactly blonde. I couldn't tell what it was.

"Um... Yes, my friend cancelled on me, and apparently my other friends don't like me."

He chuckled, then nodded questioningly toward the other stores. "People watch for a while?"

We began walking, my eyes gravitating back to him. More than once his eyes met mine, making him smile again.

"So you're alone too?"

"Oh, no," He replied casually. "But he won't mind. You know older brothers, probably glad to be rid of me."

"I am the older brother, but yes. I do know." He laughed again, hard. I had to join in. "Cute, you're snorting!"

He blushed a dull shade of crimson and covered his face with one hand. When he had calmed down he coughed and very lightly smacked my arm.

"I'm James," He told me, still a little breathless.

"And I'm Jackson, you hungry?" I asked. Always one to eat, growing teenage boy and all that. Personally I prefer the excuse of 'Bottomless Pit' over all others.

"Eh, sure I'll eat." Strange, finally meeting another male that can't consume his body weight-plus.

We walked to the food court together, and picked the Chinese food place.

"Just rice?" I questioned.

"Just rice," he confirmed, looking down at his single serving. "Not too hungry, but I can't say no to this."

I paid with the leftover money my mother gave me, despite James saying otherwise, and we sat off in a corner.

Swallowing a huge bite, I stated, "You actually look kind of familiar. Live around here?"

He chewed slowly as I searched his face, trying to pull back some faded memory of him. Then he nodded, "Yep, not far from here."

"Ah, where do you go to school?"

"Oh, uh I'm homeschooled now. I haven't been to a real school in years."

"That must be where I know you!" Confusion flickered in his eyes. "Did you leave about... Seven years ago?"

"Bingo," He licked his fork, eyes travelling to other stores, and back to me. "I think I remember you too... I don't remember a lot from school though. Big things have happened, kind of takes away from the less important memories I guess..."