Their Day Together

--Alex--

After we got our hot dogs, we started walking down the street.  Once we got a few steps, curiosity overcame me and I started to ask questions.

"What made you think to come here?"

"Well, I figure you haven't had a chance to get back to the bar to pick up your car from last week.  That means we need to come downtown to get it.  Aside from that, there's a lot downtown, so it presents the most opportunity to figure out what you want to do."

"Yeah."  I had to admit, it did make sense, except that wasn't what I wanted to know.  "But what I meant was, why Earth?"

"It's not part of the galactic community.  Since you aren't a starfaring race yet, your authorities aren't getting the bulletins.  That, in turn, makes it harder on the bounty hunters, since they can't just hand out flyers."

"That'd be funny.  'Excuse me, Ma'am.  Have you seen a little alien with big claws around here?'"

As we continued walking, we finished our hot dogs, and passed a bunch of small shops.  One of them was a dress shop.  I looked in the window and saw this killer dress.  It was a maroon, strapless number with a slit up the side to show off the legs.  I just couldn't resist.

"Hey.  I just got an idea."

"Really."  Bob didn't sound enthusiastic, but he wasn't grumbling either.  I guess anything would have been an interesting experience for him, what with being an alien and all.

I grabbed him by the arm and pulled him into the dress shop after me.

"Hello, how can I help you?"

"Can I try on the dress from the window?"

"Of course."  She tool a measuring tape out of her pocket.  "Let me just take a few measurements and I'll get one in your size."

The sales-lady didn't take long to wrap that tape around me a few times.  She read out the numbers to herself, probably to help her remember.  After she was done with that, she scurried off into the back and reappeared with the same dress that I'd seen in the window.

"Thanks."  Then to Bob, "Just wait here.  I'll be right back."

I left the two of them to go try on the dress.  It was a little tight around the chest, but other than that it fit pretty well.  Once I got the tag tucked in, I pushed the door open and poked my head out.

"You ready?"

"Of course.  Let's see how you look."  The saleswoman answered.

I stepped out into the store and twirled around.  And I looked positively smoking if I do say so myself.  It really was a great dress.  It showed off just enough to look sexy without being trashy.  Finally, I struck a pose.  I turned to make sure to show my best side and put my hand on my hip.

"What do you think?"

"You look wonderful."

"That can't be comfortable."

I probably don't have to tell you which onlooker made which comment.

I looked down at Bob.  "That's not what I meant."

"Oh?"

"Yeah."  I flipped my hair back to show off the goods a little more.  "How do I look?"

"Uncomfortable."

He was hopeless.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the saleswoman burst out laughing.

"You know, any other man couldn't resist this."  I turned further to the side to give him a good profile view, but it didn't effect Bob.  He just continued watching me with a calm indifference.  No slack-jawed drooling.  No eyes popping out of his head.  Not like the guys who passed by outside.