Chapter Twenty-Two

2021 Update:

Hi y'all. So I know there's already a disclaimer at the beginning of the book, but someone reached out and suggested I add one to this chapter and I think they're right. I once again want to remind you all that I wrote this when I was 14/15 years old, and as such, had a young teenager's understanding of the world. The scene with Luke and his principal was purposeful - as you undoubtedly are aware, Luke has his flaws. He rushes to judgment, he's cocky, he can be unintentionally sexist at times, he has a lot of internalized homophobia. He uses the r-word and other slurs without recognizing their weight. He is a teenager still figuring things out for himself. While his intentions are good, and he wants to fight against the injustice he and his friends are facing, his comparison to racial oppression is not entirely accurate. The reason I wrote this scene the way it is, is because I wanted to show how oppressed people - while they often have a lot in common - can also clash. A white gay man can be racist or sexist. A black woman can be homophobic. Etc. 

While racism and homophobia are both horrible forms of prejudice, they have their own histories and cannot be as simply or easily compared as Luke does in the following scene. Luke does not understand the weight of the comparison he is making. Both he and the principal are wrong in this scene, not just the principal. Luke is incorrect in claiming that homophobia and racism are exactly the same, and the principal is wrong in his initial dismissal of the prejudice Luke and his friends face. Just something to keep in mind as you read. 

Q.

Author's Note:

Gah, you guys, there is so much drama, I can't even keep track anymore. Anyways, thanks for all the comments on the last chapter. Let me just say - there's a lot of stuff coming. *evil laugh* Ahem, sorry. I'm just very excited. Anyways, enjoy this chapter! :) Let's just say that some of you guys have really been waiting for this to happen...*hint hint*

xoxo,
Q.

Monday couldn't be more awkward. I don't know what it is about our school, but news travels faster than water here. I'm around eighty six percent sure it has something to do with Josie Guthrie.

Somehow, everyone's heard about Troy DeLuca's attempted suicide. Which is totally retarded, because no one even knows who Troy is. Different rumors are circulating.

Some of them say that Troy was Emery's ex-boyfriend, some of them say Troy was Emery's best friend, some of them say Troy was Emery's rapist (what the fuck, right?), and a few people have actually heard the truth, which is that Troy was the bully that drove Emery out of Indiana.

What everyone seems to agree on, though, is that Troy tried to take his own life because of his sexuality.

This, however tragic, seems to work to my benefit.

People have backed off. Sure, whispers will still strike up when I walk by, but there's less laughter, and less slamming into lockers.

I make eye contact with Tyler when I walk into school in the morning. He quickly casts his eyes away. I think it's a wake up call for them; maybe they finally realize that their actions have consequences.

Foolish thought.

I walk into Spanish class and immediately trip over and fall on my face. There are a few snickers.

I look up to see Bryce smirking slightly, his foot stretched outwards. I roll my eyes and pick myself up from off the floor.

"Mature." I spit, and make my way back to my seat, glad that I no longer have to sit next to that loser.