Chapter 16: Basic Skin Care

Your skin care routine is really the key to good looks; make-up won't be a convincing beauty aid unless it is applied to a face that is in good condition.

Cleansing

Most cosmetic foundations, powders, and blushers are best removed with a specially designed cleansing cream or lotion, but usually the final particles need a deep clean with a cleanser. Many people with dry skin prefer to use a cleanser rather than washing their face. If you have an oily skin, choose a light, free-flowing cleanser; if your skin is dry use a richer and thicker one. Unless you are using theatrical make-up, avoid the very cold creams.

Toning

Skin toners are pleasantly refreshing, and their evaporating and cooling action causes the pores to become temporarily smaller. Toners act as an additional cleanser on dirty or oily skin, and also remove any traces of grease left behind by the cleanser. The mildest forms are called fresheners, or delicate toners. Astringents are the most powerful toning formula, and are intended for oily skins. If you have a combination skin, don't apply strong toners to the dry areas.

Cleaning Procedures

·         Remove eye make-up gently with cotton wool pads soaked in special eye make-up remover.

Remove mascara by placing a moistened tissue under the lower ashes and stroking both sets of lashes together with cotton wool pads soaked in cleanser.

·         Apply the cleanser in circular movements, using your fingertips for cream cleanser or cotton wool for liquid cleanser. Start at the areas around the eyes and cheeks.

Massage around the jaw and neck using upward strokes.

Remove the cleanser with cotton wool pads or paper tissues.

Applying Toner

Immediately after cleansing, apply toner on a cotton wool pad – or pour a small amount of toner into the palm of your hand and splash it onto your face.

Washing

 Wet the skin with lukewarm, not hot, water and wash your face in light circular movements.

Rinse your face thoroughly with fresh lukewarm water.

 Pat your face dry with a clean, soft towel.

Moisturizing

Moisture is the most important element in skin chemistry. A moisturizing cream will help to offset the evaporating effects of the environment – sun, wind, central heating, air conditioning and pollution. If used daily, especially under make-up, moisturizer will protect the skin, helping to seal in the vital natural moisture of the skin and acting as the perfect base for make-up.

Applying Moisturizer

With clean fingers, feel your skin gently for dry patches.

 Smooth the moisturizer evenly over the required area with your fingertips, using upward and outward strokes and being careful not to drag the skin.

Work the moisturizer into your cheeks with your fingers, stroking upward. If there is any visible residue, remove it gently with cotton wool pads or a tissue.

Facial Exercises

It is well-known that regular exercise improves the muscle tone of your body and helps your figure to keep in good shape: exactly the same is true of your face. As you grow older, the layers of fatty tissue under the skin decrease and the muscles slowly lose their tone. The face starts to lose its firm shape and the skin begins to sag. In addition, stress, worry, or anger adds the face into unsightly wrinkles which can all too easily become permanent fixtures. Regular exercise will keep the muscles in your face firm and mobile, and will also help your face to relax physically and visibly after a stressful day.

·Repeat this sequence of exercises several times each day.

 Close your eyes and squeeze your face up tight. Relax.

Open your eyes wide and make a soundless "O" with your mouth. Relax.

Stick out your tongue and open your mouth in a silent scream. Relax.

Purse your lips, and move them to the left and to the right. Relax.

Open your eyes wide and grin from ear to ear. Relax.

Chin and Neck

Repeat this sequence of exercises several times a day.

 Begin each exercise by sitting up perfectly straight with good posture.

Bend your head forward, stretch your neck muscles. Return to your starting position.

Stretch your neck back with your mouth in a pout, your lower jaw thrust up and out. Straighten up.

Puff out your cheeks and circle with your head and neck, first clockwise and then counter-clockwise.

Eyes

Relax your eyes by holding your head completely still and rolling your eyes, first clockwise and then counter-clockwise.