The End of the Beginning

My eyes shot open and I looked down at the naked beauty before me, "What do you mean you were Lina?"

"Well, I can't really explain it but I just feel so connected to you. I just feel like we've known each other. And Lina... I've had visions of being Lina before," she searched my face to see if I thought she were insane.

Instead, I carried on, "Can you tell me more about these visions?"

Part of me wanted to believe her. I wanted to believe that Lina could come back to me. I wanted to love again. I wanted her again.

"I was alone in bareback camping in a forest when it happened. I was following a river downstream and that's when I first saw Lina. I looked at my reflection, but it wasn't me. It was Lina."

I swallowed hard, "What did she look like?"

"Like she was worried," Angel paused and looked up at me as if she was recalling something that spooked her, "I didn't see her again until I went to sleep. She came to me in a dream and showed me the night she died in the car and... was impaled by the tree."

My hands and feet went cold everything drained from my face. She must've noticed because she wrapped her arm around my waist tightly. Is this real? Or is she some sort of psychopathic liar who somehow came across this information? Well... it's not like I have some sort of estate anyone would be after.

"I don't know what to say..." I whispered and searched her eyes desperately to see if there were any hints of green, "There are so many things about you that remind me of her."

She ran the side of her index finger along my jawline like Lina always did. I shut my eyes and heard, "Yeah, it's strange because so many things that you do make me feel like I've seen you do it before."

"But Jen, I'm Angel and I'm here right now. I'd like to get to know you and I'd like for you to get to know me as Angel," she said. 

"I'd like that too," I said while I wondered all sorts of things about soul mates, destinies, and all the possibilities that used to just be impossible. 

I knew I could learn to love her in a way that would be completely different and yet familiar. Or at least, I would try.

Angel moved her hair aside to reveal the back of her neck which was home to a light purple splatter that went up the bottom of her neck.

"The branch went through here," she said.

I felt the tingle in my sinuses followed by tears that streamed down my face, "Did it hurt?"

Angel wiped them away, "At first, but then the pain went numb. I... Lina tried to say I love you, but it was too late."

Her words crushed me in a way that made my throat squeeze water through my eyes. They stung until the dam broke and the streams started to flow, fogging my eyes with a haze.

"I'm here now," Angel said quietly as tears filled her eyes too. 

She held me until my sobbing simmered.

I shut my eyes and smiled, "Deja vu."

Well, how did this short make you feel?  I was completely inspired by all the stories of afterlife and people rediscovering their previous lives. Do you believe in life after death? Let me know and please don't forget to vote. :) Cheers!