Chapter 4 - Jay

"Shit"

I say it aloud ignoring the disapproving looks of those around me. Shit, shit, shit. I repeat it over and over again as the news flashes across the largest of the bulletin screens.

LEADING SCIENTIST MALCOLM EDISON FOUND DEAD IN HIS APARTMENT AT AGE THIRTY-TWO.

Few of the passers-by glance towards the screen which now shows footage of the police cordoning off an apartment complex. As soon as the name had appeared I'd recognised it, he was one of her superiors, one of the few who had actually seen the findings and understood their significance. If they were willing to go after someone as high up the chain of command as him, she wasn't safe.

"Police have deemed the death suspicious and believe it could be linked to the terrorist organisation whose philosophies coincide with those who claimed responsibility for the initial outbreak of the virus back in 2053. Authorities are asking anyone with any information to please come forward".

Tearing my eyes away from the news, I start scanning the crowd of people around me. Things had changed, plans had to be altered. I'd been instructed to observe and not engage, to simply watch her and see if she could be an asset to the cause. If I went back for help now, by the time we planned to extract her, she would be dead.

Around me were people of all different professions; medical, military, government, utilities, agriculture. The city was divided into zones for certain careers, but here in the centre it was a mixing bowl of people. I needed a way in to anywhere at any moment, to anticipate every move our enemies would make and be ahead of them. We had friends who would help us in places our enemies thought were safe, and I figured it was time to start using a few of them.